Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apple today announced that iPhone and iPod touch users have downloaded more than 100 million applications from its groundbreaking new App Store since its launch on July 11, 2008. More than 3,000 applications are currently available on the App Store, with over 90 percent priced at less than $10 and more than 600 offered for free.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I haven't seen any data to support that, but they did report that revenue in the first month was MM$30, so there's little doubt that people are buying apps.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Hell ya - if I knew the first thing about programming, I'd be furiously writing/developing something and trying to sell it for even $.99. Right now, you'd have a decent chance of getting noticed; in another couple of years, if it continues to build, the number of apps will be overwhelming and it's going to be just about impossible to "get noticed" enough to even sell your app.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Makes me wonder if I should try developing something useful and sell it for $1.99.
Most apps have things pretty well covered so it would be tough to find a niche.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Well a lot of programs have US content only maybe something with a canadian flavor like Timmies. Although it would be best for revenues something that doesn't exclude US.

Have downloaded a lot but haven't bought one yet.

I don't know if it's still free but air sharing seems to be pretty good and it was free for a limited time...

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
bobmac:

Air sharing is awesome, I know this is off topic for this thread, but you should get it while it's free.

Back on topic: The only problem with developing for Canadian content is the number of users. We don't have that density of population, therefore your ROI (time, in this case its not rally money) would be much smaller.

Perhaps, Nuje, this is one area where it wouldn't hurt to wait a while i.e. until the user base grows...

·
Registered
346 Posts
I sold shareware for about 10 years in a very niche market. The most important things were getting your program visible for people to see and an extremely easy way to pay for it. The Appstore design is perfect for this. I'm also thinking of going this route if I find something I could improve or something different. Plus, it's fun getting money for doing something that was a hobby. It was also nice when the exchange rate was about $1.45 :cool:

·
Registered
684 Posts
The app store makes it so easy I find myself buying apps that I would never pay for in a million years on my PC or my WinMobile device. If something looks interesting I won't hesitate to buy it for 99 cents.

There's no doubt in my mind the app store will continue to be a huge sucess.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
robobob, my sentiments exactly, ease of use, reasonable price.

I really liked my iTouch after I got it but since the App stores came along, I have been like a little schoolgirl gushing over it!

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I third this. For example, look at iWik which presents Wikipedia content formatted for the iPhone. Even though you can get the content for free by going directly to the Wikipedia site, having a very reasonable price of 99 cents means the developer already has 47,000+ users.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Looks like the app store is a gold mine for independent developers. The developer of Trism, a $5 game (very addictive, BTW), has made $250,000 since July 11.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts