Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
On October 19th. I just pre-ordered the "Full Disclosure" 3 disc with book Blu-ray edition from amazon.ca. Can't wait for this one!

·
Registered
339 Posts
IGN has the scoop on the full release details for the Apocalypse Now Blu-ray, and they include two welcome surprises. Firstly, Hearts of Darkness, the acclaimed documentary on the grueling shoot of Francis Ford Coppola's classic (included only in the Full Disclosure Edition), will be presented in high-definition 1080p resolution. Secondly, both cuts of Apocalypse Now will be presented in the original theatrical aspect ratio of 2.35:1.

The framing of Apocalypse Now has been the object of a long controversy. The film was shot on Super Technovision (anamorphic 35mm), which has a projected aspect ratio of 2.35:1 (actually, 2.39:1). However, all of the DVD releases of the movie have been in a modified aspect ratio of 2.00:1. Back in 1999, two of the producers of the movie confirmed that it was cinematographer Vittorio Storaro's decision that "for home video + broadcast, he would transfer the film with a slightly modified framing: 2.0:1." Hence, this BD release of Apocalypse Now is the first release (including the LaserDisc) to sport the original theatrical aspect ratio.

Contents include:

2-Film Set

Apocalypse Now - 1979 Cut
Apocalypse Now Redux
"A Conversation with Martin Sheen" interview by Francis Ford Coppola
"An Interview with John Milius" interview by Francis Ford Coppola
Complete Francis Ford Coppola interview with Roger Ebert at the 2001 Cannes Film Festival
Monkey Sampan "lost scene"
Additional Scenes
"Destruction of the Kurtz Compound" end credits with audio commentary by Francis Ford Coppola
"The Hollow Men," video of Marlon Brando reading T.S. Eliot's poem
Featurettes:
The Birth of 5.1 Sound
Ghost Helicopter Flyover sound effects demonstration
A Million Feet of Film: The Editing of Apocalypse Now
The Music of Apocalypse Now
Heard Any Good Movies Lately? The Sound Design of Apocalypse Now
The Final Mix
Apocalypse Then and Now
The Color Palette of Apocalypse Now
PBR Streetgang
The Color Palette of Apocalypse Now
The Synthesizer Soundtrack" article by music synthesizer inventor Bob Moog

Full Disclosure Edition

Like the 2-Film Set above, plus:

Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse
Optional audio commentary with Eleanor and Francis Ford Coppola
48-page collectible printed booklet with special note from Francis Ford Coppola, never-before-seen archives from the set, behind the scenes photos and more
John Milius Script Excerpt with Francis Ford Coppola Notes
Storyboard Gallery
Photo Gallery, including images from photographer Mary Ellen Mark
Marketing Archive

·
Registered
530 Posts
Wow, talk about a fully loaded set. Can't wait for this release. I was very disappointed with the Complete Dossier edition on DVD. The original film plus Redux had each first half on one disc and the other halves on the second disc meaning you had to switch discs to complete either movie.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Got my copy of the "Full Disclosure" 3 disc set this morning from Future Shop (Hwy 401 and Winston Churchill). Got it home and found out that 2 of the discs are mislabelled. The "Special features" disc actually contains the two versions of the movie. The disc labelled for the 2 movies contains the special features. The "Hearts of Darkness" disc is the only one labelled correctly.

Also, my copy was missing the 48 page booklet. Went back to FS and the employee working in the Blu Ray/dvd area knew about the booklet missing. He said the booklet was shipped seperately from the movie set. They would have it tomorrow hopefully.

Anyone else have any problems with their 3 disc set?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mine is as you've described as well... the silk screen for disks 1 and 2 are reversed and it is missing the booklet, but it does seem to have all the digital material as decribed on the page glued to the back of the box... one of my peeves is when they glue stuff to the box.

·
Registered
614 Posts
UPDATE--Read on another forum that the Canadian release of the 2 disc set and the 3 disc set are being recalled. Both sets have the wrong labelling on the discs and all of the 3 disc sets don't have the 48 page booklet.

Still going to hit FS tomorrow and see if they have the booklets in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Apocalypse Missing

Ya, my copy has the reversed print on the discs and no booklets. Purchased it at Bestbuy in Vancouver. I see this is the norm in Canada. Are we to get it separately?

Shake

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
If they are recalling the package to fix the discs and give you a version with the book - I would be tempted to keep the original! Might end up being a collector's edition!!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I watched only 10 minutes last night. The picture is way ahead of the DVD, but don't expect perfection. Some parts are a bit soft, but the sound is fantastic. No brainer if you're a fan of the movie.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Looks like Maple Pictures (which distributed Apocalypse Now in Canada) wants to hear from anyone who has the problematic discs.

Contact them at [email protected]

Include your name, full mailing address and phone number.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I returned mine for refund... the Futureshop that I was at didn't have any information on the booklets, so I decided to repurchase when the fixed set arrives.

One other thing, I don't see how a 48 page booklet could fit inside the sleeve that came with this set... at least thickness wise, not sure how tall it is , etc. Maybe not a big deal, but I'm not sure where else I would keep a loose book.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I ordered mine from Amazon.ca.

After hearing about the Maple problems I called Amazon.ca customer service who hadn't heard about the problem. I asked if they would be shipping the Canadian or U.S.A. version and was told they deal with Canadian distributors here. At this point I decided to cancel the order which had already been shipped. They told me if I can catch the UPS driver to refuse the package and my payment would be credited back. The package arrived last night so I refused it.

I immediately ordered the "proper set" from Amazon USA. As this is one of my all time faves I didn't want to chance an "inferior copy" even if it cost me a bit more for a proper one.

·
Registered
105 Posts
"Full Disclosure" 3 disc Blu-ray Ed.

I also wanted the "Full Disclosure" 3 disc Blu-ray Edition. Could not find them anywhere in Toronto. There were all sold out. Even the regular 2 disk Edition was hard to locate. However, I did not want the mislabeled disks and the missing booklet Canadian special Edition even if they were still in stock.

So I drove to Buffalo to buy one that did not have the misprinted disks etc and the highly sought after 3 disc Edition (I drive to Buffalo frequently). Well I could not believe it. There were all sold out there also. Except the BB employee at Walden Galleria mall said there was one left at BestBuy-Hamburg according to their computerized inventory. I drove there and Bingo there was the last one on the shelf just waiting to be grabbed by me. Opened it up and there was the booklet. Popped it into my computer Blu-ray drive and all disks were correctly labeled.

Side Comment:
I hope us Canadians don't have this bad experience (mislabeled disks etc.) when the Star Wars Blu-rays are released in 2011. I may just find myself getting the SW Blu-rays also in Buffalo. I hope someone learned something about quality control through this bad Cnd experience.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I went into BB today looking for the 3 disc Full Disclosure set. After about 20 minutes of not finding it, I asked and was told about the recall. Anyone have any idea on when the new discs will arrive in stores? Really looking forward to watching this.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts