Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Subject is pretty self explanatory.

From what I can see, it was possible before Lion but is no longer possible.

Can a Mac expert confirm or deny?

Thanks in advance
Hugh

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I backup all of my Mac (Lion) user data (i.e. iTunes, iPhoto, other folders) to a Windows machine using Microsoft Live Mesh 2011. It's basically doing a folder sync.

If you want to do an image backup(s), SuperDuper from the Mac to a Windows share works.

·
Registered
626 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the input.

to a Windows machine using Microsoft Live Mesh 2011
Not what I want but your post made me brush up on Live Mesh and I am going to use it with my Windows machines so thanks for that.

If you are looking for a solution that will allow TimeMachine backups to a WHS 2011 share you'll need to wait for MS to decide if they want to add support for AFP 2.2 as that is now required for TimeMachine backups.
Yep, that's what I am looking for. I saw the workaround but it's a kluge and I don't want to go there.

I just built a WHS 2011 and was hoping to have it take care of the iMac also. Currently I have an External USB drive hooked up to the Mac for Time Machine and was hoping to be able to dispense of it.

Guess I will have to continue with the external drive.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Wow what a Kluge. Does anyone know if the proper AFP 2.2 support is in Server Essentials 2012? Although that product is pretty cost prohibitive for home use.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts