Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a nice VoIP/SIP app that allows me to use my VoIP.ms account while travelling.

I've used Fring for iPod and it gives the option to make free calls or call via a predefined VoIP account, hence looking for something similar for Android.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
AFAIK, Fring is the best option.

There is supposed to be a native Skype coming to Android "soon" but I am not holding my breath.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was really hoping to avoid Fring and the various clones (e.g. Nimbuzz) specifically because I don't want an "all in one" app that attempts to replace existing Android components (SIP, IM, SMS etc. etc.).

All I really want is a good SIP app that allows me to control call parameters e.g. Codec selection and provide features like registration timeout, keep-alive interval, NAT, DTMF method etc. that I have on my PAP2T at home.

I played around in the Android market for a while and briefly experimented with the following;

- 3CXPhone
- aSIP
- Fring
- Linphone
- Nimbuzz
- checked a few others out, but didn't install due to descriptions indicating various stages of beta, limited functionality etc.

I found aSIP was a clone of SIPdroid, but didn't like the interface, since it didn't interact well with Android contacts etc. This app also contained a predefined list of VoIP providers, but VoIP.ms was not on their list :(

Fring is an all in one, but IMHO, the SIP applet is weak; other than account credentials, I didn't find options to customize call settings. The description of Nimbuzz puts it in the same category for me.

Linphone is nice. Very flexible from call settings pov, good integration with the Android contacts, option to route calls over VoIP vs. cellular network.

3CXPhone was very similar to Linphone, but what ultimately swung my decision was the option to setup multiple profiles for different VoIP providers (it's ironic that as I type this, there's a banner add for the Windows version of 3CXPhone). It seemed to have everything Linphone had and more, while retaining a good user interface.

So my current position is that I've uninstalled all the apps except 3CXPhone. I've made a few test calls, and I guess we'll see how it plays out, or what else comes along.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts