Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

101 - 120 of 828 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
I tend to schedule individual single recordings and pad them with a minute or so on each side. When there is start time padding, the web scheduler shows the titles of my scheduled recordings as being the show previous to the one I scheduled. Viewing the same scheduled recordings directly from the PVR, on the TV, shows the correct titles, even with the padding added.

So, the PVR must be saving the titles when they were selected, regardless of the padding, whereas the web scheduler is using the start time to derive the title from the schedule database. This is quite annoying for checking scheduled programs via the web.

However, with the web scheduler, any previously recorded shows with padding show the same (correct) title as the PVR on the TV. So for recoded shows, the web scheduler must be grabbing the titles from the PVR. This makes sense, since shows recorded long ago might no longer be in the guide database.

I wonder if the web scheduler could be modified to grab scheduled show titles from the PVR? The drawback of this would be that if the program in a time slot was changed after you scheduled it, the guide would differ from what you see for your PVRs schedule. However, this is what happens locally with the PVR on the TV, so at least the two would be in sync.

·
Registered
747 Posts
The web scheduler doesn't appear to have the new "First run on this channel" scheduling function.

Also, (at least with Firefox 3.6.17 under Ubunto Linux) the text for the other "This channel ..." record options are truncated when scheduling a recording from the "More info" screen.

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts
I also have the truncated recording options - on several different browsers on my two Macs.

As for adding additional time, I tried extending a recording that was scheduled to stop at say 11PM, but I wanted to extend the recording until say 1AM. It seemed to have a problem with this. I believe for the sake of safety, I will simply record the next programme(s), rather than extending the recording itself.

As mentioned above, although it takes about 30 seconds to load (for me), it is then much faster because you can search, you can click on "more info" for a programme and it'll show all the airings (I like this because I like to record at off-peak times and I can then pick from the list of available recordings). You can also see a lot more channels at one time.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, it may take a day or two for your PVR to synch "up" to the Remote TV Manager. Going the other way (from the Remote TV Manager to the PVR) is almost instantaneous.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Similar to the padding issues that I described in my previous post in this thread,

If you use the web scheduler to schedule a show, and pad the beginning, then the resulting title, as seen by the PVR on the TV, will be the previous show that matches the start time resulting from adding the pad.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have been using the web recording option exclusively for the last few days. Not one problem with it so far. Everything has recorded wonderfully. It shows how much free space I have, but as of yet, it has not sync'd my pvr recorded list online yet. This is nice to finally see.

Now I just wish they would hurry up with the blackberry app.

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts
After a recent reboot (firmware patch?) my PVRs are no longer "named" and if I pick a name (like basement), it doesn't "stick". They end up in the remote TV manager as PVR1, PVR2. Also, the recorded programmes don't seem to show up on the manager under "my PVR" - instead it says "no results".

Looks like their patches have caused some problems while perhaps curing others. You may wish to advise Rogers if you are encountering similar issues.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi 57,

I am having the same thing - since my PVR rebooted on Sunday as I described in the 8300 external drive thread, I lost a bunch of recordings and the Web Remote TV Manager does not seem to work well anymore, as it was working great the past few weeks since it was linked in MyRogers.

I'm sure there's not much I can do about the lost recordings, but I feel it's my duty as a Rogers customer to call and make a stink about both of these issues and at least get a credit. ;)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well, just got off the phone with Rogers tech support re the Remote TV Manager and my lost recordings.

They said there is no issue with Remote TV Manager (surprise, surprise), and when I pressed for a credit for the lost recordings he said they couldn't since I was not using the Rogers Extender.

I asked whether the problems could be related (i.e. the ghost recordings I haven't cleaned out yet causing a problem with the interaction on Remote TV Manager), but he didn't seem to think so.

In the end, they have opened a ticket for engineering to investigate the Remote TV Manager issue and I got a $10 credit.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
I know it is OT but it raises a good question, can Rogers detect if one is actually using a Rogers Extender or not? I guess perhaps they could based on the fact that the 8000(HD)+8300(HD)+8642HD all report the hard drive ID...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
I had the same problem last night, but it now appears to be working again. The room for the PVR is showing correctly, and when I go through remote manager I can access the PVR and the correct programs are in the Recorded and Scheduled tabs.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
It's been 2 days and I still have the same problem.

When will Rogers be able to actually solve the problem? It's been one problem to the next since October 2010 !!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Back to not working again. The PVR is still set to the correct room, but when I tried to access the remote manager it stated n/a for the PVR.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Yesterday, my PVR was unnamed, likely after the firmware patch, so I set the name again. This was a very slow process, and at first it seemed that the function was not working.

Used the online Remote TV Manager again this morning, and have a list of bugs to report:

1. There does not appear to be quick way access to this function. Have to log on (Overview tab), and the site has to then retrieve my account information making the process very slow. Should be able to bookmark the function (like what was initially available), log on and go directly to the Remote TV Manager.

2. Loading of TV guide is quite slow.

3. No way to adjust the guide to fit my screen size (it is essentially one long list that is navigated by a slider, not my browser). Clicking on the scroll bar move the display forward over 100 channels, rather than one page. Moving the slider just a small amount displays additional channels, but they initially show as loading (getting guide information) which indicates that it knows how many channels were displayed on my screen.

4. No option to hide or specify the channels I want to view (like the function in Zap2It) which should improve performance.

5. The Recorded list displays "No results found" rather than the 20+ recordings on my PVR. If it can schedule a new recording on my PVR, it should be able to access my list of recorded programs.

6. The Scheduled list generally shows newest on top, which is different from the PVR which is in chronological order. However, any newly scheduled recordings show up at the end of the list.

7. Programs in the Guide have a "NEW" flag, but when scheduling the program there is no "First run" option.

8. From memory of a few days ago, the Recorded list is displayed in the reverse sequence to what is displayed on the PVR.

It is nice to have this Remote TV Manage as it has a lot of potential, but it should still be considered as a beta version.

·
Registered
31 Posts
same weirdness here - forgot all its info yesterday... but today, all seems ok now.

weird...just weird... but it works rather spottily from the iphone app.
sometimes it generates a notif window of success, sometimes it doesnt

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
OK, changed the name of my box yesterday and the recorded programs are now listed. Not sure if the two are associated.

Another minor design flaw. After clicking on a scheduled recording to see the details and then clicking on the X you are kicked back to the guide rather than the list of recorded programs. There is no option to cancel viewing of the details of the recorded entry. Clicking on "modified" has the same effect.

Who QA'd the design ... anybody?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Testing Only

You guys have to remember that the TV Manager is in testing mode only.
It has not yet been announced as a new feature.
Currently they are working on fixing it's bugs.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
^^^^
Actually, it was described, with intructions, in the issue of "Connected" magazine that I found in my mail box yesterday. So, I'd consider it announced.

101 - 120 of 828 Posts