Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

821 - 828 of 828 Posts

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Rogers Anyplace TV Discussion

Does anyone use this to watch programming over the internet regularly?

I hate to dump on Rogers any more than I already have but Rogers Anyplace TV is a mess. I've given up on the STB VOD because it is so badly implemented and often does not work. Tried to watch a show using a PC and Chrome this evening but it was riddled with issues. Just finding the show to stream was a chore. Search first came up with the show schedule only. I tried again from a different page and the streaming option showed up, way down the page where it was not visible until it was scrolled. The stream itself was awful. Picture quality varied from atrocious to good and it froze for several seconds on a number of occasion. There was no indication that it was buffering but that's probably what was happening. Other streaming services provide steady high quality streams and a speed test indicated that there were absolutely no congestion issues to Rogers main servers. After this incident, I've got to wonder if Ignite TV will be reliable.

·
Super Moderator
56,436 Posts
I only use it for the guide which is often more accurate than the PVR guide (if I can't find what I know should be in the PVR guide).

I occasionally stream only to test when people say they have issues. Whenever I've tried in the past it's worked fine, but as I say it's strictly been short term testing.

I just tried to sign in using my Mac Mini to test for you @ExDilbert , but I couldn't get in due to a 30111 error, which I have seen occasionally. I'll try to remember to try again soon...

I tried my iPad and got a similar error. I believe it was 30213 - there must be something amiss right now, but I just got home from a holiday...

·
Super Moderator
56,436 Posts
I tried again today and everything works fine. I had to login again on both my Mac Mini and my iPad, but everything was fine.

I clicked on the Guide and started watching the NFL game on CTV channel 8 on my 24" computer monitor from 20" away and it looked great. I wouldn't call it UHD, but certainly HD.

I tried my iPad and everything is fine there too - obviously much smaller. I have "best" selected for the quality on the iPad.

My Internet is Rogers 30/5.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Everything seemed fine to me at first as well. However, after some time into the show it started acting up. Picture quality deteriorated and then improved several times over an hour. Playback stalled several times over the hour as well. There seemed to be no correlation between picture quality and playback interruptions. I've never seen any issues like this with Prime Video which has been in use for many hours over the past two months.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
It appears MSNBC (at least for me) has been removed from the Rogers Anyplace TV online viewing as of June 1, 2020. Is anyone getting MSNBC still?

·
Super Moderator
56,436 Posts
Post merged into Anyplace thread. There were problems with a few channels that have now been solved. Looks like MSNBC is still a problem. See the following link in Rogers' forum.

·
Super Moderator
56,436 Posts

It will still be available on STBs.

821 - 828 of 828 Posts