Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 828 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
It was advertised in their UR Magazine that they mail out to subscribers (not sure who gets it). It was mentioned if a feature and they talked about it as if it was already here but then had a little bubble of "Soon!". I would expect it will be available in the next month, based upon that.

·
Registered
81 Posts
How will it work?

Anyone have an idea how this will work? Will the pvr have to be hooked up to ethernet in order to remotely access it? also will be able to choose which pvr to control in my case we have 3 pvrs in one house hold. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
^^^^
I would expect it would be done via the cable network. You'd connect to a server at Rogers which can then communicate with your PVR.

·
Registered
747 Posts
timberland29,

No Ethernet connection is necessary (older PVRs don't even have an Ethernet port). Programming will be done over the RF cable.

Rogers has added the ability to name your PVRs from the quick start guide. These names will probably be what is used to differentiate multiple PVRs on the same account.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
^^^^
I don't know which message you were referring to, but MAC addresses do not survive when data is passed through a router. MAC addresses are valid only on the local network and nowhere else.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I don't care who you spoke to at Rogers, no one has any clue about this. I have been bounced around a dozen departments. The one lady in the cable department said it is working via the web, but couldn't find the link for me. I figured what the heck, I emailed the person who wrote the bloody article to ask for clarification.

In my magazine, the App it says coming soon in bold, after the app, the surf it part says nothing about coming soon. It is worded as if it works now.

I take what telephone reps say with a grain of salt. I doubt it is working, but who know's.

·
Registered
85 Posts
On April 4th @RogersElise on twitter replied with the following to my tweet to @RogersHelps asking if there was any news on the Rogers Remote TV Manager:
Not at the moment. There is no set timeline.​

Doesn't sound too promising...

·
Registered
50 Posts
So I have been setting up my online accounts tonight and noticed that you can access your PVR through your online account, but i havent been able to find the link (I guess from reading this thread it is a new feature so it might not work yet). Is anyone able to access this feature as of now, here is the link on where you should see it, but like I said the "remote tv manager" link does not show up for me.

http://www.rogersphonemanager.com/DigitalCable-Ontario/article.php?id=116-3M

·
Registered
528 Posts
Must be close to launch if they added it to the help. FWIW the moderator in the Rogers community forum said last Wednesday that it will be "made available very shortly".

·
Banned
117 Posts
i donno i hear their having a lot of issue's with the hosting server, keeps crashing and freezing. they most likely wana make sure it is perfect before launch.

·
Registered
411 Posts
If they are waiting for it to work perfectly before launching, it will never be launched, because nothing Rogers launches seems to work without glitches! There are so many issues now with PVRs since the firmware update that maybe they should get those issues cleared up before launching something new!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
i donno i hear their having a lot of issue's with the hosting server, keeps crashing and freezing. they most likely wana make sure it is perfect before launch.
I LOVE your sense of humour! :p

After the mess they created with the PVR updates, I doubt anyone can see the above statement as anything but a joke! ;)

·
Registered
310 Posts
I take it by the lack of posts that nobody has heard anything new.

I was talking (complaining) to a CSR about many things and when asked about the remote pvr manager they said that when they test launched it crashed the system and they haven't been able to figure it out...and have no expectations of launching this in the near future.

UGH.

·
Registered
119 Posts
As Bruce Fan suggested, I just downloaded the (free) iPad app and loaded it on my wife's iPad (1st Gen) and it does work!... sort of. I was able to easily log in with my MyRogers account, and could see the PVR, my recorded list and scheduled recordings. I pulled up the List on my PVR on my TV, then from the iPad I deleted a recording I didn't need, and it immediately disappeared on my TV. Cool. :cool:

However, when I tried to schedule a recording, it kept telling me there was a conflict - even if I tried to schedule something for *right now*, when nothing is recording. I guess a reboot might be in order.

Oh, and the best part is that the Remote App *actually* has a REAL search feature! You can search by title/actor/genre and it shows you a list of all broadcasts that match for the week! :)

Now when will the web equivalent be available?

EDIT - OK, I rebooted, now scheduling recordings via iPad works, but still buggy.

Consider: I opened the Remote TV Manager on iPad and selected a show currently airing for recording, and it said success. Watching the PVR, the red 'Record' light did not light, nor did it appear in the List. However, checking the Scheduled Recordings, I could see the new recording listed, and if I tune to the channel and press Info, it had the REC icon on it (?).

Canceled that, tried another channel, same result. Canceled again, tried setting it manually 2 minutes in the future, waited. Same. A few minutes later, the Record light came on, and both channels were suddenly recording. (?) Odd.

Anyway, it does work, just seems a bit buggy right now, which may be why Rogers has not publicized it yet. But worth grabbing nonetheless. :)

Oh - I noticed two other new features as well; one, when looking at IPG program, you can press the arrow in the top right corner and it brings up a list of alternative broadcasts. Second, it appears you can select multiple recording at once to delete. Both useful.

Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
56,431 Posts
I assume this would also work on a regular computer? The remote TV manager link is not available after I logged into my account either. I'm guessing it may take them a while to make this available for all accounts? I assume this was part of May 12/13 firmware update (for the 8300)? I see from the Remote TV Manager FAQs that this is not yet available for the 8642. The link in post 31 was quite useful.

21 - 40 of 828 Posts