Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone's had any problems getting their IRC550 to be able to control the audio on their tv's. I'm not sure when exactly the problems started - as I was out of town for a week ( got back on March 15th ), but none of the remote controls can control the audio any longer. Before I went out of town we had two 550 receivers controlling a Samsung Plasma and a Sharp LCD, and a DRS319 controlling an old panasonic CRT type tv - and the volume and mute could be controlled by the IRC550's which came with all the units. Then, the audio went ( though you could still change channels, use the guide button, etc ) - and I've tried everything I've seen on here and in the manual to get them working properly again, with no success.

I don't really care too much about the LCD and the plasma - because it's not a big deal to control the volume with the remotes that came with those tv's...but the Panasonic remote no longer seems to work. My Dad uses the Panasonic - and it's driving him crazy, and he finally called Shaw on Wednesday, and after about an hour long wait - he spent about 45 minutes talking to a CSR who guided him through the steps ( which I'd already tried ) - and they eventually told him there's something wrong with the TV. Obviously there's nothing wrong with the TV - unless I'm to assume that all three tv's developed the exact same problem at the same time.

So I'm just wondering if anyone else had had any similiar experiences recently - thought maybe it could have had something to do with a recent firmware update, or possibly just new software that's being used because of the 605/630's. Or is it possible that all three REMOTES would develop this problem at the same time - that's the one constant, I've had these three remotes the same length of time ( it's about 3 1/2 years )...are they something that needs to be replaced after a certain amount of time ?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

cheers !

mookie

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
The new firmware for the 605/630's have nothing to do with the older receivers. The 505's have not had any recent updates. I use some of the 550 remotes without any audio issues.
From your description, the remotes continue to control the functions of the receivers but not the TVs. Have you checked the batteries and have you reentered the TV codes as per step #5 in the programming instruction guide? The enter/OK plus the mute are held until the mode buttons flash and then the TV code is entered.
Perhaps it might do well for you to outline here the detailed steps you have tried in case further suggestions are forthcoming

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Jbracing24,

Yeah the batteries have been checked and replaced more than once. In one of the remotes I tried putting in the batteries backwards for 5 minutes - as I saw a suggestion on here ( from a couple of years back ) that might 'reset' the remote...but no luck.

As far as entering the codes - I used the 'automatic' way, which is the way I originally set them up - whereby you hit enter and then mute until the mode buttons start lighting up...and then you just hold the up arrow key until your tv turns off - and then on again. So no I haven't entered the actual 'tv' codes for each tv - I'll give that a try sometime this weekend...though as I said, the 'automatic' way worked for me before. And it still doesn't explain why all 3 sets had just the audio and mute stop working ( with the IRC550 ) - all at the same time. How can everything else on the remote work - except the volume ?

thanks,

mookie

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
If the TV codes are set correctly, then when you press TV plus power or channel change etc, the remote should make those changes to the TV, not just volume. You can also follow step 9 to get the remote to give you the code number read-back

Are you sure the remotes didn't get switch around? They all look the same, you might be using the wrong remote per TV?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts