Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Buyer Beware - Comcast 6412's are stolen

It has been mentioned on these forums before, but it looks like a reminder is needed. Very few cable companies actually sell cable decoder boxes, most just rent them out... Shaw is one of the few exceptions.

Comcast only rents their 6412's to their customers. If you see someone selling a Comcast 6412 you can be pretty sure it is a stolen unit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
technut said:
It has been mentioned on these forums before, but it looks like a reminder is needed. Very few cable companies actually sell cable decoder boxes, most just rent them out... Shaw is one of the few exceptions.

Comcast only rents their 6412's to their customers. If you see someone selling a Comcast 6412 you can be pretty sure it is a stolen unit.
Thanks Technut. Regardless of legitimacy,...who has had issues getting these boxes to work on Cogeco after a full reset? I saw some folks were successful, and I have heard of other's that weren't (although not on this board).

·
Registered
304 Posts
It would have to do with the OOB (out of band) frequency.

Mostly, only on the DCT-2000s, they had hard-coded this Out of band frequency (the frequency used to initialize boxes and to allow the boxes to talk with the central controller)...

Some areas use 72.75mhz, others 75.25mhz...and some other less used frequencies as well, not sure why, but that's what happenned.

The newer 1800s/2500s/6412s have an Agile Out of band ,which means it can find that frequency regardless...

The 2000s however didn't have this ability. So for any Cogeco box to work, the model has to be one of the following:

2244/1261/*******
2244/1661/*******
2224/1261/*******
2224/1661/*******

The stars just meaning it can have whatever options beyond that. The 2 is because Cogeco uses 72.75mhz...the 6 is that some 2000s are agile and can find the frequency, its mostly the older ones that can't.

So if you have a
2244/1161/*******

It means its tuned to 75.25mhz on the out of band and it won't activate as a result. That could be why some boxes work and some don't. Which mostly means its buyer-beware.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That factory reset will only get you into an attempt to download from your cable provider, this will work as long as your unit is looking for the same OOB Frequency that your Cable Company is providing. Some of the newer boxes (DCT6412) are being modified to look for non-standard frequencies. It seems that each of the cable companies are doing what would have been illegal for any of the phone companies, they are controlling the hardware on their network not for techinical reasons but for pure profit. If each cable company changes the equipment so that it only works on their own network, you can only get the equipment from them. If you can only get the equipment from them, they control not just the price to the consumer but also the terms and conditions under which you can have the equipment. It is pure monopolistic greed. I think Cogeco one of the more "consumer oriented" providers in what looks like a very self-serving industry. Have you ever wondered why Rogers uses Scientific America in one part of its network and Motorola in another. I believe it is so that no adjacent provider has the same equipment so that nobody can buy a machine from a Burlington subscriber using Cogeco can sell their machine to a Rogers customer. Think about it...!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
56,508 Posts
Mika said:
Have you ever wondered why Rogers uses Scientific America in one part of its network and Motorola in another.
In many cases it's simply "legacy" equipment that one service provider "inherited" from another service provider during a takeover, or merger. I don't think the business is as fiendish as you make out.

For example, if there were not a huge cost to change all the Motorola-compatible equipment (head end, STBs, etc) in the Atlantic provinces to SA, I'm sure Rogers would do it in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
57 said:
In many cases it's simply "legacy" equipment that one service provider "inherited" from another service provider during a takeover, or merger. I don't think the business is as fiendish as you make out.

For example, if there were not a huge cost to change all the Motorola-compatible equipment (head end, STBs, etc) in the Atlantic provinces to SA, I'm sure Rogers would do it in a heartbeat.
You have to admit that life would be very different for the Cable Companies in the GTA and surrounding areas if they all used the same equipment! If that were the case the thousands of people that move every month in GTA would want to take their purchased equipment with them. By having different equipment eliminates that problem rather nicely don't you think. I may be paranoid, but not naive and I understand that Rogers is run as if every misspent nickel is coming right out of the boss' pocket.

·
Super Moderator
56,508 Posts
Mika said:
By having different equipment eliminates that problem rather nicely don't you think. .
Drop in the bucket for Rogers. They used to even have a "trade" programme where Rogers would accept Cogeco and visa versa, much like car dealerships do. I think you're paranoid, but that doesn't mean they're not out to get every nickel. ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mika said:
That factory reset will only get you into an attempt to download from your cable provider, this will work as long as your unit is looking for the same OOB Frequency that your Cable Company is providing. Some of the newer boxes (DCT6412) are being modified to look for non-standard frequencies. It seems that each of the cable companies are doing what would have been illegal for any of the phone companies, they are controlling the hardware on their network not for techinical reasons but for pure profit. If each cable company changes the equipment so that it only works on their own network, you can only get the equipment from them. If you can only get the equipment from them, they control not just the price to the consumer but also the terms and conditions under which you own the can have the equipment. It is pure monopolistic greed. I think Cogeco one of the more "consumer oriented" providers in what looks like a very shappy industry. Have you ever wondered why Rogers uses Scientific America in one part of its network and Motorola in another. I believe it is so that no adjacent provider has the same equipment so that nobody can buy a machine from a Burlington subscriber using Cogeco can sell their machine to a Rogers customer. Think about it...!!!!!!
Mika, I think there's something to what you're saying. I'm on my 4th factory reset of a comcast 6208 to try to get it to work with Cogeco. No luck so far. After the first reset, cogeco was able to "hit" the box to shut it off so they could upload the authorization data. When I came back after waiting a half hour as instructed, the box showed 0 on the display and wouldn't respond. I called Cogeco back and they were unable to "hit" the box. I've done 2 more resets with the same results. I'm on the fourth one, this time I was instructed to hold down POWER & SELECT when I unplug the receiver to prompt the download. We'll see what happens, but I think it's hosed. The tech folks used the term "pooched", so that can't be good! :eek:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I will make a bet that your DCT model number is DCT6208/2005. The unit is not exactly hosed, but I think it may not work with Cogeco! When you turn your unit on after the half hour, is the zero on the left or right side of the display? I would think it is on the left. Let me know

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Exactly Mika....bang on with issue and model#.....now..I've been on the phone with a tech for over an hour. We've removed the back panel where the cable attaches. We're trying some different configurations. He seems to think that I may need a Cogeco piece. (The shiny silver thing on the back). We're doing another firmware download and we're going to start again in the next few minutes. I'll let you know. This tech is awesome, I wish I could say his name here. I'll be sure to tell his supervisor.

·
Super Moderator
56,508 Posts
Please use the "Reply" instead of the "Quote" button, unless a quote is germane to your post. Even then, edit the quote to the point(s) addressed.

·
Registered
358 Posts
If memory serves me (I'm terrible w/ numbers!), the DCT6XXX series has at least 9 frequencies it can tune to depending on which one the cable company uses. At first boot up, what is supposed to happen is the box goes into a 'hunt' mode, looking for the OOB frequency

fr1
hunt
fr2
hunt
fr3
hunt...

and so forth untill it finds the provider's OOB. Then the downloading begins.
However...when I plugged my new 6412 from Comcast in, no hunt, no download. I just had to wait for the I-Guide to populate. Hmmmm...

·
Registered
11 Posts
That is because it already has the Comcast Download in the unit. If you put a comcast box in a different network such as Insight you would have to reset the box and download Insight's verstion of the Motorola software. The Hunt comes into play when the unit tries to find the frequency the network is using. So in your case since the software was already in your unit, It just had to populate the guide and the channels to which you subscribed. Be thankful.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have cogeco and the DCT6412 I bought off eBay (which turned out to be a comcast box) does not want to connect to cogeco. I reset the firmware and everything, but it gets stuck in a hunt loop on "Fr 3". I also got cogeco to enter the box info into their system (someone mentioned they would ask for 3 numbers... they only asked for 2... the "IG #" and the # "Starting with 4 zeroes".

It seems most people here are dealing with older boxes. Has *anyone* gotten a 6412 comcast to work on cogeco?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Technut You Are Wrong...

Hi

TECHNUTS info on 6412's is inaccurate. I purchased my 6412 from comcast when I left the US, they dont sell them as such, but if you want to keep it when you disconnect the service they simply charge you a NO RETURN fee on the equipment, which is around US$500 for 6412..

Just to clarify!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Absolutely.

I have a comcast 6412.

Called in game the SN and the GI number for activation.
Had to do a factory reset, of which there are two combinations of keys to get to. The power, select and power,menu being held while unplugging and replugging the unit. In my case I ended up with a "boot" prompt that the support tech got stuck on. But simply menu key to "nw dl" and hit select and the hunt will begin. Hit download on f3, waited a while an voila.

Working perfectly for about 2 weeks now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is GI number inside the box? I can't find the sticker with the S/N.

I recently moved from a Rogers area to a Cogeco area. I bought a DCT 6412 from eBay and the sticker with the GI / serial number is not under the box. The guy that I bought it from is pretty decent/legit, he used a a family business email address and he is pretty traceable. He is also helping me to get the GI number from the original owner/box/manual/etc. However, I don't want it to be my one and only choice.

I do have CN and UA stickers/numbers. Is there a way to obtain the GI number from inside the box? I know those screws are pretty hard to take out, but there must be a way... I read a post about someone replacing the HD and the weird screws with regular ones, whcih means it can be oppened. The question is still if the GI number can be found inside the box.

I don't want to do anything ilegal - I paid pretty good $$$, PST, GST and import duties to get the box legally up here, and I am hoping this was not just a waste of time and money. In the end, if this is a stolen box, it should be reported.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts