Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These questions pertain to physical AOL DSL service, not the Bring Your Own Access where you load AOL software. In addition, AOL does suck, but they dole out USA IP addresses where a VPN isn't need for streaming video.

Any of you folks have AOL Canada Broadband DSL?

Any of you souls use AOL Canada DSL out West (using TELUS copper for last mile)?

Does PPPoE keepalive work (some posts years ago question this)?

Any of you used your own purchased modem (not bought from AOL)?

Dry loop doesn't seem to be an option, but what about canceling the landline (voice service) after the install?

Is there a remorse period (free cancellation to avoid $120) if the service sucks and you're in a commitment?

I'd love to see the results from speedtest dot net and also pingtest dot net . I've called several times, but it looks like dry loop DSL from them is a no go.

·
Registered
492 Posts
The year commitment deal / price doesn't sound bad (if not planning to quit within that year .. - so not to be penalized 120 dol.)

After 1 year .. simply will be paying the same price per month (as was paying for the regular priced 10 months out of 12 months (first 2 months were special deals) ..
So not too bad.. - i think price is 35 dol.

But.. i called them.. and it's only available if your phone provider isn't Bell or Telus (which is not me)

Not available in Manitoba basically.. - available i think in Ontario, Quebec, Alberta, British Columbia .. and maybe some other province ( can't recall now :) ) .. but not in Manitoba ..

the CSR told me (all of CSRs are in Romania they told me.. for both Castomer Service and Tech. Support .. BUT .. they speak pretty good English however, i noticed) that AOL offers DSL for about 7 years now.. and i think the most recent province added was B.C. (about 3 years ago or so).

·
Registered
492 Posts
i meant above - ONLY available if your phone provider is Bell or Telus (i see now i said isn't by mistake) :(

.. in any case.. - just called them again.. to ask about availability ... - same answer that i got before.. - in Manitoba it is STILL not available :(

according to CSR.. i think they offer 5 mb service.. (not sure how accurate is that. - somehow i thought it was 7.5 mb)

7.5 mb would have been better of course :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Why would anyone in 2011 sign-up for AOL? If you are wanting to sign-up merely for the IP then be aware you can do that for free.

·
Registered
492 Posts
huh?

They provide DSL internet access... (that is why)
and the 12 months deal is not too bad - 2 x 14.95, 10 x 34.95 (or something like that) .. and 34.95 / on a monthly basis (after 12 months are over)

... not for other AOL toys, of course (toys are just toys) :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just left my ISP (bundle package) and now have only ten days to find and hook up with someone else. I just called AOL a few days ago but it didn't go well. First they said I had to only use their modem which they would send to me, the whole our-modem-must-be-used-other-modems-not-configured-properly, so I argued uselessly with them about it, they said also the modem was free. No even a rental fee. Not even a disconnect or return fee, no bill showing up saying You have Just Bought This Modem, enjoy! I said sure whatever you say. :eek:

Then after I told her I was leaving Shaw the conversation sank further. She said she suddenly had to check to see if they could offer Service in my area and she said specifically she would require my exact address to proceed. (I am in Edmonton) I gave up at that point. I had a feeling I should have just said I was leaving Telus or leaving Bell but I didn't understand fully what was going on. Because I told her I would no longer HAVE a phone with anyone, so why didn't they feel free to just hook me up? It's not like I said I would be keeping my phone with Shaw and just dropping internet and TV.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Not sure why they didn't "take you"....

Pretty sure if they could - they should (or would) ... - that is what all about after all :)

Thought they offer service in Alberta.. - but maybe i was wrong..

at last phone conversation she told me again where they offer service... but Winnipeg was not offered .. so didn't pay too close of attention to the rest possibly... :)

Try calling them maybe .. and without going into other personal details .. ask a general question:

Where in Canada do you offer Service...?
and you don't hear Edmonton .. - ask: Do you offer service in Edmonton?

Thought they offer service in Alberta.. - but who knows..
Maybe i was wrong above..

at the same time i see i said - "ONLY available if your phone provider is Bell or Telus" .. so maybe it's like that...
Somehow i am thinking now... possibly where Shaw offers - they don't .. but not sure
It's better to call and verify exactly where .. maybe i will call again :)

By the way.. here is the link to all their "deals" .. with last last one, on the very bottom right being the best deal (the one that i was talking about above)
http://canada.aol.com/register/price_plans.htm

·
Registered
492 Posts
Just called..
in Canada it's available in "Bell or Telus areas" and / or "Ontario, Quebec, Alberta, British Columbia" (not in Manitoba) .. what i said before basically...

BUT .. when i asked her: Do you provide service anywhere in those provinces?" .. - she said NO ..
If you had a Cable Internet (which is SHAW) for example - it doesn't tell her much.. cuz AOL is DSL .. and they have to check by area they service .. or if High Speed internet could be offered on your current phone line, via DSL....
or something like that...
Even in Ontario i guess, they would not offer it to everyone..
they have to go by your phone number etc...
Kinda very vague .. and moronic a bit.. but it's like that, unfortunately, i guess...

Pretty sure however, at the same time, if you current phone provider is Bell or Telus .. they CAN offer it to you "no questions asked"... LOL :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for the input. I'll be calling them back tommorow and give one more kick at the can.
Its the landline phone that I need really more than anything. Don't want to just use my cell for phone calls.

·
Registered
1 Posts
AOL does provide DSL in Edmonton, over Telus' lines - I'm using it right now. The US IP address is the greatest thing ever.

·
Registered
488 Posts
AOL offers unlimited broadband they might actually be a decent option for people if all of the major companys stick to there low bandwidth caps

1 - 12 of 12 Posts