Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had Vonage as my local phone line for about 6 months now. Audio quality has been consistently excellent over that period with the exception of the random touch tone being audible when on a call to my Vonage line.

In the last week or so I started to experience a lot of echoing with Vonage which I have not experienced in the past. This is noticable when I am calling to my Vonage line from another phone line, such as my office line or cell line. It has happened when I have called my home phone from several other phone lines.

Has anyone else on Vonage experienced this?

My internet is Rogers Extreme and nothing has changed with this in over six months, at least that I am aware of. I am not using other bandwidth that much - I mean I don't have a P2P program running rull tilt 24x7 so I know of no reason why I should be experiencing this problem.

I have yet to call Vonage customer support but that will be my next step.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
My Vonage service works great, and I'm also on the Rogers Extreme with an SB5100 Modem, no echoing. Maybe its the Vonage adapter that is starting to fail. A friend of mine had that problem and got it replaced, and the problem went away.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Try do a tracert to sip.vonage.net. It will time out on the last several but the numbers you do get should tell you a lot. If anything is over about 250ms then it's a problem with your internet connection. Under 150ms is best.

Also, if you have a router make sure to set your QoS so that Vonage get's priority over everything else. If you can't do that then make sure you are not doing any heavy intermittent or steady uploading/downloading during calls. Especially uploading.

P2P programs like bittorrent and edonkey can effect call quality if you don't have QoS even if they are not doing any uploading/downloading of files. The communication activity with other peers was enough to effect my call quality until I had QoS setup properly on my router.

If you have a lot of Spyware/Adware and/or worms they can cause the same issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts