Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so now I know it is not my machine. Three different PC all giving the same error messages when I try to view certain PDF files. "Could not find object XXX" or "invalid file", "incompatible format", or "an error exists on this page". After a while or the next day the files will start to work sometimes. Anyone else? I only noticed this about a month ago.

I have not googled for a solution yet but Adobe Reader is up to date on the machines in question. Browser is Chrome, OS is XP, and 7. While I am one topic what is the best Adobe Reader replacement these days?

·
Super Moderator
11,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just installed Foxit. The Adobe forums are flooded with posts about this error so searching for a solution very difficult.

·
Super Moderator
11,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm. It never occurred to me that it was the plugin that was causing the error and not the application. I assume when AR is updated the plugin is updated as well. I think I will look into gPDF though. Thanks for the tip.

So is there ANY reason to keep Adobe Reader installed?

·
Registered
833 Posts
I gave up on viewing PDFs within the browser a couple of years ago. I routinely keep many tabs open and it was really annoying to have Adobe lose its marbles and crash the whole browser (which happened fairly regularly). I now use Foxit and find it much leaner and faster.

·
Super Moderator
16,867 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hmm. It never occurred to me that it was the plugin that was causing the error and not the application. I assume when AR is updated the plugin is updated as well. I think I will look into gPDF though. Thanks for the tip.

I know I needed it when filling out my passport application. It used some feature to generate a barcode dynamically...not sure if foxit supports that barcode feature, however.

So unless you need to fill out a passport application, there is no reason to keep Adobe Reader installed ;)

·
Registered
326 Posts

+1 For Foxit reader. I've been using it for years. Adobe Reader is a pig on resources, every time you reboot, it takes up memory space unnecessarily. It also keeps bugging for updates, and keeps wanting to install more bloatware. I haven't had Adobe Reader installed on my PCs for years, I don't miss it at all.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
i get same issue as the OP on xp and vista running chrome.... refresh refresh sometimes fixes issues. have not been annoyed enough yet to look into the problem..hehe

1 - 16 of 16 Posts