Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Channel master makes a non amplified one with specs of 5db gain. Antop makes an amplified one with a bunch of filters internal filters. I've read multiple review pages but they are of limited use cause 90% of those that use them have very marginal installations. I'm thinking about putting one of these on my 75' tower to at least compare it to my 4228. I know the gain isn't as large but if the noise doesn't kill it the omni should make up some of the difference...

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
I used a reflectorless FF4 made from #10 copper wire for a couple of years. It worked quite well for line of site and 1 edge signals. More distant signals such as 2 edge were not reliable during tropo events due to interference from distant stations but I was quite happy with it. It has about 8-10dB gain on UHF and it also does a decent job on VHF high. It's not truly omnidirectional, more bidirectional.

mclapp's M4 (9.5x9.0) 4-Bay - NO Refl.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I have read about the "Omni" TV antennas it seems many of them are somewhat bi directional too. I am down in the hills of Kentucky and my 75' height gives me a clear horizon in every direction except north. I can get stations 50 miles away 24X7 but further out than that depends on atmospheric conditions and I've noted that maximum signal can change on some stations by over 15 degrees so I wonder if an Omni wouldn't bridge some of the gain gap by throwing a wider "net"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts