Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
The 50v525 says it has 6 aspect ratios.
Does anyone know exactly what they are?
Is there one for stretching a 1.85:1 and a 2.35:1 dvd?
Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the 50VS810 so I assume that the aspect ratios are the same:

-16x9 (great for movies, but stretches 4X3 signals way to much)
-16x9 Zoom
- 4x3 regular
- 4x3 expanded (slightly stretches 4x3 to fill up the 16x9 screen and crops a bit off of the bottom)
- 4x3 Zoom 1
- 4x3 Zoom 2

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey all new to the forums

Just wondering if anyone knows if the Hitachi 42V525 does native 1080i resolution? The hitachi.ca website says it can do 780P and the upsampled 1080P but doesn't mention anything about 1080i. The Future shop and Best Buy websites both seem to say that the TV does 1080i/1080p but doesn't say anything about the other resolutions (including 480i/p, 720p).

Going to try to get the set without stand for $1899 from FS (in the Toronto area)

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I think the display resolution of that tv is 720p. So it will display 1080i and 480i/p at 720p

The set has been on sale for a while now at $1999. I think you stand a pretty good chance of getting $100 off especially since there are save $50 coupons floating around. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought the 42V525

Hey folks,

So, I'm the proud owner of a 42V525. At least I think so.

Here goes:

Really liked the display when viewed in store. I bought it at Trutone in Mississauga. Buy most of my gear there. Anyway, the store was using a MuchMusic video awards show shot in HD as a demo. Looked great in terms of color and contrast. I asked the guys to throw a DVD in just to see the difference. Pearl Harbor did look darn good.

So, since there really aren't any pro-reviews out there, and it looked good in store, I bought the sucker. So far it has only seen a couple DVD scenes at home and some SD though Cogeco digi-cable. I'm about to move into my first house, so HD will have to wait a couple weeks.

The first 4 days really impressed me. Then today I noticed something weird. While demo-ing some DVD's I noticed the brightness would "auto-switch" during scenes. Hard to explain other than it was like someone was changing the brightness on-the-fly to compensate for something. I played around with the contrast modes (Dynamic, Normal, Auto) but it seems that is does this in all modes.

I'm now here to try and either solve the problem myself or figure out if I should box this beast up and exchange or upgrade.

That's my sad story with this TV. Trust me, I want to like this thing, and heck, maybe I'll just get used to it over time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I picked up the Hitachi 42v525 today from Best Buy. Got the entry-leve Toshiba up-converter dvd player with DivX and HDMI in the deal but haven't hooked it up yet. I'll reprot back on the set when I get delivery.

And yes I probably paid too much for it ($1999) but the 36 month no interest financing makes it a moot point over 3 years :D

BUT if someone has a reciept they wanna scan maybe i can price match it :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Update + Hitachi service rocks!

OK, so I called up my retailer to inquire about the problems I've been having with the fluctuation of the brightness with my 42V525. The guy I bought it from really didn't have an explanation, but immediately called his Hitachi rep to get some info.

About 2 hours later I get a call at work from Hitachi! They ask me what seems to be the problem and then tell me they're going to contact a service centre and have someone come out and check it. Nice!

An hour after that I get a call from the service centre and they tell me they can send a guy out right away. So 45 minutes after that the guy comes in, replaces the bulb and everything so far appears great! So that was Friday night, and now it's Sunday. I think my problem may still happen, but far less frequently than it did before. Not sure where this leaves me, but at least I know Hitachi support is top notch! I can't imagine Sony being so quick to solve a problem.

Right now I'm going to keep an eye on it. If it gets worse, or keeps it up, I may have to call Hitachi back. At least I know they'll listen to me and work with me to solve the problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Is the black enhancement setting turned on? I had the same issue with mine....got it on saturday. If the black enhancement is turned on the tv is constantly adjusting the black level based on the scene. I turned the enhancement off and now it's fine. I didn't even notice that it's not quite as black after a couple of minutes. The only other thing that you may be noticing is the screen saver. You can have this set to shift the image by a pixel or so at predetermined intervals to avoid temporary burn in (image retention). By default I believe it's set to do this every 20 minutes.

·
Banned
51 Posts
50v525

I recently purchased a 50V525. I walked in to VISIONS, looking for the older 50V500 (at $2199) model since it's getting pretty cheap now. Anyways the guy said they were all sold out and said that for $100 more he would give me the newer 50V525. Anyways when he was making the bill, he said the "code" wasnt working so he had to give it to us for $2247.70 before tax. I think it was a pretty good deal, especially since this tv is listed at 2999 at Futureshop.

The tv is great though, and I love the black finish. It stands out from the tons of silver finishes out there and also gives the tv a more "sophisticated" look. Also, easier on the eyes when your watchin a movie at night since the contrast isn't as bad as silver.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hitachi 42v525

I got the Hitachi 42v525 for $1800 WITH the stand at Linden Audiotronics. They wanted to beat Future Shop and they did! I'd go back there anytime.
Very happy with the t.v so far. Got the BEV 9200 to go with that. Heck! what am I doing here when there's so much t.v to watch!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Heck, I surf the net on my big screen.
Haven't herad of MCE 2005 ? yet ? build one today ! :p ;)

boubou123 said:
Heck! what am I doing here when there's so much t.v to watch!

·
Registered
1 Posts
60v525

Hi,
I just bought the Hitachi 60v525 three days ago from the best buy Canada. I have noticed that the screen looks blurry especially on the analog Rogers TV channels. However, the HD channels look great. I just wonder if you have the same issue with the blurry screen?

Drakos said:
I just purchased a Hitachi 60V525 from Visions Electronics for $3800. This is my 4th Hitachi set and have never gone wrong. I also compared a Samsung HLR6164W and an LG 62SX4D. The Samsung had a great picture with a nice contrast ratio of 2000:1 and at the time it was my first choice of TV. The LG had by far the most features with IEEE-1394 inputs, 2 HDMI, Optical Input/Outputs, built in Digital cable card slot (eliminating need for Digital Set Top boxes) and SD card reader. Despite the LG having the most features and inputs, the picture quality was brutal. The image looked soft with lack of detail and contrast with a ratio of 1500:1. Which is actually quite low in comparison with other DLP TV's. The store was running an HD loop running off component video through a Bell Express VU feed. On stagnent images, the LG lacked the contrast and definition of the Samsung. The test I wanted to run was how the TV's looked in analog. Most stores you walk into have all their HDTV's hooked up to High Definition feeds. Since this is not going to be the regular viewing senarios in 90% of homes, I asked them to hook up a cheapy DVD player to the sets running composite video. The outcome was amazing. The DLP's now looked quite grainy with digital blotches. I was not going to buy a tv anymore, until the salesman recommended me to try out the Hitachi. We ran the same test with the composite cables and BEHOLD, the picture was great!!! Hitachi's employ a Virtual HD circuit that upconverts an analog signal to digital quality. I didnt realize how much a difference software made. I never considered a LCD platform since there were many complaints of a "screen door" effect on the picture. Not an issue for me since I am sitting 20 ft back. At this distance, the effect is very minimal. I also considered the VS810 series (which is now discontinued) but the screen saver would drive me nuts, since the TV is going in a bonus room with too much ambient reflection. The difference between the V series and the VS is that the VS is a higher end model that uses a dual focus light engine that uses advance optics claimed to give you sharper edges and detail. Despite this difference, the V series still looked great to me. I made sure that all tv's I tested were with "out of the box" settings. The only drawback of this set is that it only has 1 HDMI input. A new set called the VG825 series will be out sometime in September with a $500 higher difference in price. Which includes 2 HDMI inputs. Kinda out of my range. Apparently supposed to be a killer set though. Well, this is my choice and I'm sticking to it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, that what happens when you upscale a image intended for a 25 inch TV to 60" In order to get the best signal out you need a set top box(STB) that sends the digital signal out to your TV. If you get a regular digital STB, it will improve the images over just regular cable. The next step is the higher end HD digital box with DVI, HDMI or componant video out. These will give you way better picture but the boxes themselves are around $400 from your local cable company.

Have you considered satelite? $200 for the HD dish. Either way, programing costs are much higher over regular cable. If you pay $25 for regular cable right now, expect to pay $40 and up for the same thing for just a better signal. I have a regular digital box and I do see some compression even with s-video out but it doesn't bug me enough to get a HD box...yet. All depends how much you want to spend on TV each month. I mosty watch DVDs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Pharith said:
Hi,
I just bought the Hitachi 60v525 three days ago from the best buy Canada. I have noticed that the screen looks blurry especially on the analog Rogers TV channels. However, the HD channels look great. I just wonder if you have the same issue with the blurry screen?
For the most part, my picture is quite good. Make sure that black enhancement is off, don't turn up sharpness or enable noise reduction option. Keep in mind that you are enlarging the original broadcast signal resolution quite drastically. Regular cable broadcasts at about 300 lines vs HD at 720P or 1080I. Analog CRT's will most certainly look better on analog channels. If the image still looks really grainy or fuzzy, you can get Rogers to pay you a visit to analyze your signal to ensure you are getting the proper strength and bandwitdth. I love my TV and I'm sure you will enjoy it as much as I do. Lets keep our fingers crossed and hope there will be more HD channels available soon

·
Registered
31 Posts
50V525 on sale at FS

Friday, January 13, 2006 - an unlucky date for some but a good day to buy a 50V525 at FS. Their website states: 50V525, stand, and some sort of Yamaha home theatre sound system (looks like one of those HT in a box deals) for $2499.99 That's a great price for the tv. You can give the sound system to a relative you don't like.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hitachi 50v525

I'm looking at purchasing the hitachi 50v525 for the sale price of 2500 for sound surround and stand (future shop)anyone know if this is a good deal. Also why the big difference in price between the 51f520 and 50v525. Is the size the only difference or is there a difference in picture quality? Thanks

21 - 38 of 38 Posts