Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
56,970 Posts
A fair number of early DVDs were non-anamorphic. Many of the TV series DVDs are also non-anamorphic (even today). If they are WS, then you have to zoom. If zooming doesn't fill the screen completely, then either they are not exactly 1.78:1 (certainly possible), or perhaps you're on a zero overscan setting on your TV, or both.

Most recent movie DVDs are anamorphic. Many DVD players provide an option of what to do with "4:3" (non-anamorphic) DVDs, with the default usually being to stretch, some may have a "zoom" option and of course the "normal/do nothing" option.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76070 Anamorphic FAQ.

·
Super Moderator
56,970 Posts
These DVDs are not that old, and I can't say whether or not they're anamorphic because of how they look
1 You can tell if they're anamorphic by how they react in the DVD player/TV combination, based on the DVD player/TV settings. (If you need to zoom (instead of stretch) 16:9, then it's non-anamorphic)

2. They don't need to be old. A lot of newer TV stuff, as I mentioned, is non-anamorphic.

3. Many WS DVDs that are non-anamorphic usually say "widescreen" or 16:9, or show the aspect 1.78:1 instead of saying "enhanced for widescreen" or "enhanced for 16:9" or "anamorphic". I believe all 4:3 (Pan and Scan) DVDs are non-anamorphic.

·
Super Moderator
56,970 Posts
Only in Canada would 4:3 video be called WS because the actual picture part inside the 4:3 box has a 16x9 ratio
Not true at all. All non-anamorphic WS DVDs are like this. You may not have run across any because you've purchased or rented anamorphic DVDs, however, that doesn't negate the fact that many TV series (that are WS) are like this, as well as many older DVDs (by older I mean say close to 10 years). Suggest a reread of my previous post and the FAQ link provided.

See the following link regarding "packaging"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anamorphic_widescreen

1 - 3 of 3 Posts