Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
screen aspect settings

hi guys , i hope you can help, i had media room installed yesterday , so far it
has been a good experience , with the exception of one small thing , when i switch from sd to hd , i have to reset the screen aspect , is there any way to
set hd to 1080i and get it to remain on this setting , i know its only a small problem, but it is annoying .
am i missing something in the settings to allow this

langley bc

·
Registered
43 Posts
Let me get this straight, If you set it to 1080i all of your HD channels will be displayed at 1080i as long as your tv is HD. As for aspect ratio set it to stretch to display full screen on your tv for sd channels. This won't affect HD channels. I hope you know also that in your hd channels not all shows are in full hd, meaning if they are not full screen they are not full hd. Only shows in full screen are full hd. If you want to watch a particular show in full screen just change the aspect ratio on your tv not telus box. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
241 Posts
One of the buttons at the bottom of the remote beside 0 is a shortcut to aspect ratio. I think it's a # button or something. I don't have a remote beside me so I don't know for sure.

Anyways, set the box to output 1080 or 720 depending on your TV. If you're watching SD content, then you can use the button to quickly change the aspect ratio.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys, i did not realize that i had to set every channel individually on hd, I'm use to my receiver automatically resetting the programs aspect, for some reason since my install its not working

·
Registered
40 Posts
Are you using an HDMI cable to connect your TV to the Telus PVR? Is so it could be a handshake issue.

My installer warned there were some funky issues when using HDMI. He recommended component cable connections from PVR to TV. Picture quality is exactly the same.

You should not have to set each " channel " individually as you stated. TV should remember last aspect ratio state.

On my Panasonic Z85 I set it to "Full " when viewing HD channels ( Using the TV Remotes Quick Aspect Ratio button ).

If I then switch to an SD channel, those channels will remain in " Full " state, unless I change them to 4.3, H-Fill, Zoom or " Just " ( Justified ).

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the new HD PVR from Telus (Cisco box) and it's great on HD channels, but when on the SD channels it's all over the place on aspect ratios. With shaw it would auto fill it. How do i do this with the telus box?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Push the enter button at the bottom right of the remote control and select "Stretch" from the onscreen menu. HD channels that are already 16:9 won't be impacted and SD channels will fill the screen.

·
Registered
35 Posts
That's strange. I have never had that happen although one thing I do find annoying about the stretch option is if you accidentally push the enter button at any time (other than when entering a new channel number) or push it twice when changing the channel by accident the screen view returns to normal - it would be nice if there were a way to change the default view to stretch.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the new HD PVR from Telus (Cisco box) and it's great on HD channels, but when on the SD channels it's all over the place on aspect ratios. With shaw it would auto fill it. How do i do this with the telus box?
I had the same question until I RTFM. :)

There is a quick tip on page 8 of the online user guide (it's somewhere in the printed copy too) that explains how to do it. It's repeated again in the troubleshooting section on page 36 of the online guide. You use the "Options" button, not the "Enter" button.

The only time I see black bars now (across top and bottom) is when watching widescreen filmed content on an SD channel. I don't think that can't be avoided. At least not without seriously messing with the aspect ratio.

·
Registered
4 Posts
HD aspect ratio bug

It is true that you can press the "Option" button, then select "Aspect ratio" and choose "Zoom 3" from the submenu -- this will cause the SD picture to fill the entire screen.

However, with CIS430 software version 2.0.26478, when you switch back to an HD signal, the screen will still be zoomed! You lose the outside edges of the picture unless you change back to the "Normal" aspect ratio.

This is such a bummer -- it's almost certainly a bug.

(Note: I'm using component video; haven't tried it with HDMI.)

·
Registered
980 Posts
Its the same issue with HDMI. This is something i metioned a long time ago that when you zoom in a SD channel, the same zoom is applied to a HD channel. It should be 2 different profiles.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Does the TV have stretch modes that will activate only with SD channels? The TV display settings might be a better way to control this.

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
That would be possible if the STB sends 480i/p for SD and 720P/1080i for HD. Does it have that capability? If it does, then the TV stretch modes could be set separately for the SD and HD signals.

Most STBs that don't have the capability to send separate formats for SD and HD then have the appropriate settings to stretch SD and HD in the setup menu or via the stretch buttons.

I recommend watching 4:3 as 4:3 and 16:9 as 16:9 for the best picture quality and no distortion. The following FAQs may be of interest.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76089 Black Bars

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76074 Stretch Modes.

·
Banned
548 Posts
To get the SD channels to fill the screen without 'pillars' go to the options button on the lower right corner of the remote. Push 'options' then select 'aspect ratio' then select 'stretch'. This will stretch all of the SD channels to the full screen, but will not affect the menu, guide or the HD channels at all.

The zoom functions that are also available in 'aspect ratio' will zoom all channels, HD and SD, so if you use zoom to get rid of the 'frame' around the picture that some HD channels think looks stylish (or the HD content being shown on SD channels that also sometimes results in a 'frame'), you will have to remember to put it back to the non-zoomed setting when you tune off that channel or you will be missing the area that is beyond the edges when zoomed. Zoom does not affect the menu or guide.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can't use the TV settings

You can't use the settings on the TV to fix the problem. Although my TV has the capability to detect standard definition signals and stretch/zoom the picture, the Telus set-top box always outputs HD signals (either 720p or 1020i, depending on how you set it up). Thus, the TV never sees an SD signal.

The reason the Telus box always sends HD appears to be so that the menus, guide, call display, etc., can always be shown in the same format.

This doesn't explain why the Telus box doesn't just zoom the SD signals, of course. Or, as merve04 suggested, it could use a separate zoom setting for HD and SD.

For the moment, we appear to be stuck fiddling the zoom setting every time we change from HD to SD or vice-versa.

·
Registered
130 Posts
gfawcett, as Wiremonkey said, you need to use the option strecht and not zoom.

I have this setting on my TV and I don't need to change anything when switching from SD to HD.

·
Registered
458 Posts
What i just HATE is when the HD channels show programming with bars on all 4 sides.
I am guessing this is what Wiremonkey means by the stylish frame?
To me, why bother. just turn off the station if you not going to show HD programming full screen.
I am sure these stations can afford to buy a decent upscale box. If i had the $$ i would buy one and be
done with it. but at 2k$ ..a bit much for me.

yes, some people are happy to watch a progam with bars on the sides (4:3) ..dont want it all stretched and
distorted. but where do you draw the line and say enough already. A&E can show stuff full screen, programs that
are letter boxed on the SD A&E are full screen on the HD A&E. So it is possible to do with out distorting everything.

Why turn a 40in screen in to a 26inch with the bars on all 4 sides. Seems to happen alot on the HD HIstory channel.
Just recently with the movie We wereSoldiers. Bad enough all 4 sides are black bars but they had to censor the content
as well. Instant turn the channel for me.
(dont get me started on this censor crap...they cut out a few F-words in a war movie. Yet they feel its fine to show
all the blood and guts and gore. just dont say F*** - poor childrens be scarred for life hearing F*** )

1 - 20 of 28 Posts