Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The screen on my Nexus 7 has a crack (dropped nail clippers) and as a result most of the touch screen is not working. Started looking at a replacement and really like the Samsung Galaxy Tab S. Super AMOLED screen with the highest resolution I've seen around. I'm mostly interested in the 8.4" version, which would be a welcome change to the 7" Nexus (guess I'm getting older). The current price is more than I'm willing to pay, though, so I'll probably just fix the Nexus and use it until the price drops what I paid for the repairs.

Anyhow, I'd be interested in hearing from owners. How good is the battery life (the AMOLED, without the backlight, should be better on the battery)? What about the processing speed (two quad-core processors, what's that all about -- I assume they are allocated to different duties)? Read some comments about burn-in, is that really a concern? The Tab Pro is almost the same except the screen is LCD (same resolution) and it doesn't have fingerprint identification. If burn in is a real problem and battery life is not that different, maybe save a chunk of cash and get the pro instead. Although the AMOLED screen also makes this tablet very, very thin.

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts
I have the 8.4 Tab S.

I love it. It's fast, and beautiful to watch. I use it mostly to consume media, check email, and surf, and often casting to Chromecast devices in my home.

The first thing you notice is dark scenes--they're truly dark...none of that washed-out dark that is caused by back-lighting. Excellent colour reproduction and pixel density.

The battery life is a mixed bag. When surfing the 'net or using intensive online apps, I'm getting 3-5 hours of continuous usage on a full charge. Using power save or reducing brightness doesn't appear to change this. However, if watching stored movies on the device, I get about 10 hours max. Listening to music appears to give close to 80 hours of continuous use. Battery use while using Chromecast (Netflix, for example) is negligible, perhaps ~2%-5% an hour (screen is mostly off).

This appears to be how modern tablets are configured: They are efficient for media consumption, but really burn through battery power when used for gaming or surfing.

Regarding the octo-core processor: There are two quad-core processors, one at 1.9GHz and the other 1.3GHz. Only one processor core operates at a time. The device relegates less-intensive processing to the more energy efficient and slower processor core.

I haven't concerned myself with "burn in" and certainly haven't seen anything to indicate that this has occurred. I've had the device for several months now.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Before I posted this thread I looked around and could not find any mention of Tab S -- either in dedicated threads or even as a casual mention in a more generic one. Are they really new or just not very common?

Some of the Samsung smart phones (I got my wife a Note 3 for her last birthday) have that feature where they run multiple apps simultaneously (in multiple windows). I assume the Tab S has that as well. Do you find that feature useful? I can only really think of playing online poker and when you fold early, switching to something else. Could not do that easily with my Nexus (it would disconnect and have to reconnect when I went back to it). But I wonder what other (perhaps more practical) uses this feature would have.

I'm also still really curious about the dual processors. You said only one core runs at a time -- I assume you mean only one processor. With my Nexus 7 (quad core @ 1.5MHz) there were some videos where the playback was very choppy and some apps I still found took longer to load than I liked. Of course you cannot compare GPUs just on the clock speed, but 1.5 vs. 1.9 (or 1.3) doesn't really sound like a big step forward.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just saw tat the 8.4" Tab S is actually 1 gram lighter than my Nexus 7 (which was pretty thin and light for its time). I guess that's the Super AMOLED advantage.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I've got the 8.4 tab pro and it's been fantastic for me. From a nexus 7 I'd have no issues upgrading to a tab s

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts
The Tab S has been available since late last summer. With smartphones getting bigger ("phablets") we are seeing a general decline in their sales. Even iPads are down in sales significantly.

This tablet has the mutli window feature. I don't use it, as I personally find it annoying.

With respect to the processors, I meant that only one set of four cores run at any given time. Depending on processing requirements. No issues with speed whatsoever. Apps and web pages load up quickly....just like you're on a modern PC.

The GPU is excellent and I've never had an issue with video stuttering.

I've also found the fingerprint scanner to be great. It vastly speeds up the unlocking process (no need to enter a password). Putting a fingerprint scanner on mobile devices is just a stroke of brilliance.

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts
Lollipop Update

I received the Lollipop Update tonight on my Tab S. Took about 10 minutes to fully install. So far so good. FYI to Tab S owners.

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts
Anyone considering this tablet should know that the Lollipop update dramatically improves the battery life. In my case, I'm getting about twice the battery life.

·
Registered
89 Posts
cool, thanks. I am probably going to pick one up as a ereader/browser once the prices come down a bit more (I see that they have in the US but don't see this reflected in Canada).

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been monitoring the prices both sides of the border (I have relatives in the US and will be visiting them this summer). Haven't seen much movement. Best price I've seen (recently) is Walmart.com ($398 for the 10.5" and $348 for the 8.4"). But convert that to CDN and it's very similar to the current deal at Staples.ca.

Actually, just checked the exchange rate. Yikes! I thought the loonie was still at around 92 cents. OK, in that case the prices in Canada are *better*.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
By the way, I'd ordered the LCD/digitizer repair kit from eBay. It was under $40 CDN an I figured I'm probably waiting until Black Friday or even Boxing day for the Tab S prices to go down, so may as well try to fix my Nexus 7 until then.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
I'm the owner of the Galaxy Tab S 10.5 inch tablet. My experiences match most here. Screen is the best feature. Great for movies. However on this model (which I suppose is bigger than you are interested in) the upgrade to Lollipop has cut the battery life. I was getting about 7 hours of web browsing. I'm now down to four and half. In all other respects Lollipop has neither worsened nor improved anything and be aware that there are still too many apps that are OK on just about every Android device I've seen but aren't "compatible" (Google Play's own words) on Tab S. (Just thought you should know).

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts
^^^ I haven't run into any issues with compatibility on my Tab S. Which apps are you referring to?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just noticed that the Tab S 8.4" on Amazon dot com is $100 off down to $300. I could ship it to my sister-in-law who lives in New Hampshire (no sales tax) and we'll be visiting later this Summer. That's like getting it for $325 here and paying taxes.

However there is now competition. The Dell Venue 8 7000 has the exact same screen, a tiny but thinner (but a tiny bit heavier), smaller bezel (actually no bezel except at the bottom), aluminum case, faster processor and has a unique (for now) camera. The camera has 3 lenses and allows you to take pictures where you can adjust (later) what you want to focus on -- foreground, background. I don't know if it takes 3D pictures (the name of the technology is Intel RealSense 3D). And of course it's $450.

It has pretty much everything the Tab S has except 2GB RAM vs. 3 and no thumbprint unlock option. Reviews have been primarily positive except for the actual camera image quality (which aren't great for any tablets anyway). The gimmicky camera would probably be fun to try but it won't be a deal breaker. The metal body and faster processing speeds, though, are hard to ignore.

Come on, Samsung, drop another $50 and make the decision easier.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Review of the Dell at PC Mag. is not that complimentary. Other reviews also seem to indicate that the Dell may promise more than it can deliver.

Also not a 3D camera.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, not flattering at all. And with the current cost difference ($100 more for the Dell) it's really a no-brainer.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In case anyone still cares, the 8.4" is $250 on clearance at Staples. Available in-store, only, check stores in your area if they have any stock. Be aware the last one could be the demo (so screen was on a lot); maybe they'd drop it another $50 (I've seen them on kijiji for around $200).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts