Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a Nokia 6015i on a Virgin Mobile prepaid plan. I occasionally have to try a key combo 2 or 3 times to get it to work, so it may be getting a bit old. I dread the thought of having to replace it. Just about every cellphone on the market today seems to have dinky little keys, made for the hands of an 11-year-old girl.

I'm a 6-foot-tall male, with hands/fingers to match, so most new phones would be useless to me. I'd almost need to whip out a magnifying glass, and use a sewing needle to dial a phone number on them.

I'm looking for POTS ("Plain Ordinary ***TELEPHONE*** Service") not some super-duper-smartass-phone/camera/mp3player/FMRadio/TV-set/videogame-terminal. Many new cellphones have "large keypads", but small individual keys, because they use qwerty keypads. And the ones that are numeric only seem to keep the numeric keys miniturised to leave as much space for a screen as possible.

Hopefully I won't have to replace my cell right away, but I would like to be prepared, rather than doing so in a panic. Are there any handsets on the market today that have large numeric keypads? And how difficult would it be to register them with most carriers?

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Check out the Nokia 3710 not sure if virgin has this model but its a basic phone with decent key size and space between the buttons for those big fingers.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks; I'll try to see if I can get an unlocked one here inthe Toronto area. I'll check with Virgin first, before spending any money ;)

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
I don't know if Virgin will let you use HSPA phones on prepaid. They didn't before, and while I can't find anything explicitly to that effect on their site anymore, you can't buy the HSPA phones on prepaid terms.

Among the phones in Virgin's prepaid lineup I think the Samsung M330 slider might be the best choice for you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Check out the LG Keybo or Keybo 2 (also known as the ENV 2 or 3). It has large numeric keys and small display on the outside, and also folds open to reveal a text keypad and larger display on the inside.

sorry, I'd post a photo if I knew how ;), but just google it.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Well there's a coincidence.
I was just browsing dealextreme's new arrivals and they have a couple phones with big numbers on em.

Unfortunately they're GSM, so won't work with virgin.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts