Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if there's any updates as to when MTS will have a PVR. I noticed that Sasktel has them now, so there's no reason why MTS can't have them.

·
Registered
469 Posts
no sorry havnt heard nothing. But if you would like you can call 941-4545 and ask them about pvr and see if they know. What I suggest is if you need one badly is just go to Shaw for a while dont buy the pvr but rent it for about $10.00 a month and then use it until mts has one out. I have heard not until 2008 until testing but everybody always says something different,. thankyou Gordon

·
Banned
79 Posts
LOL it will be a long time for MTS, they work at a snails pace. Do not lose any sleep over this, anyone wanting HD is better advised to look at another provider, way better everything compared to MTS.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've sent a few emails to MTS and their response is that they are in negotiations with a supplier. But no firm date yet.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
That's what they said about HD, and it took them almost 2 years from then to actually come out with a (crippled) HD service...

·
Registered
2 Posts
How about a TiVo?

MTS told me they have to find a new supplier - maybe the one that is supplying SkTel is an option but doesn't sound like anything is happening in the short term. I was looking for a PVR and don't require HD so Tivo should meet that for me.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
There are no Winnipeg HD channels, but they could have at least gone with Eastern Time Shifted channels... only one hour difference earlier, rather than 2 hours later...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I recently inquired about this very topic with MTS and they replied with this:

I could understand your eagerness for the PVR service, just as ours is. We are currently working towards changing and/or adding to our equipment. Unfortunately, we are in negotiations and cannot provide a date at this time.

We appreciate your loyalty and patience with MTS TV during this time. I have forwarded your request to the appropriate department to look into further.

Thank you

MTS Allstream Inc.

Although extreemly Vague, is is a better responce than I expected. I truly believe that MTS will step up to the plate (like Sasktel) with a PVR.......they have no choice if they want to stay alive.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
The net is they will be trialing HD and PVR this year so perhaps later this year they'll announce something.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Do some Google searches for AT&T U-Verse. That's a real-life example of Alcatel / Microsoft IPTV product. You may need a new household gateway and Motorola box (one per TV) but the benefits are impressive. It sounds like MTS is able to run the new and old system on the same "pipe" simultaneously meaning you can have the new version and your next door neighbour use the existing version. That's a neat trick. It's worth the wait to move to true IPTV.

·
Registered
72 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm in River Park South.

It's a 2 year old home and I went with Shaw 100 percent day 1.

I have no MTS facilities inside my home at all. There is a copper termination box on the outside of my house.

There is a fibre cable looped up arund my High Effiency furnace exhaust outside as well - not terminated as of yet.

Would be interested to see this new service. Mostly hope that he competition drives the triple play prices down.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The press release says they are getting FTTN equipment which is Fiber-To-The-Node, so so fiber to the home.

An article in today's Free Press talks about possibly giving faster Internet when the TV is off, so maybe that is what they mean by next generation.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/subscriber/business/local/story/4110328p-4706720c.html
I think you are confusing FTTN (fiber to the node) with FTTH (fiber to the home) or FTTP (fiber to the premise)

FFTN means fiberoptic cables run to a cabinet serving a neighborhood. From the cabinet, the wiring to the customer's premises is usually done via copper wiring.

I have not heard of any plans from MTS to utilize FTTH as of now. I have a brand-new house with fiberoptic run to the demarc, and I am hoping that as part of this upgrade MTS will start offering FFTH services soon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This was a VERY interesting article in the Winnipeg Free Press today. Perhaps the most intriguing part is the fact that the roll-out will begin in RURAL Manitoba for testing this year. Exiting times and MTS could lead the way in IPTV in Canada. I have seen that AT&T site and it looks pretty neat!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts