Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
These are the terms posted under the 6 month trial offer. To bad I can't get the discounted rate for the first six months since I already have the lightning 20 plan. I am still on the 6 month discount for it, so I wonder if they will transfer the remaining 2 months I have left of that discount if I upgrade?

Available only to customers who have not had MTS High Speed Internet Service in the past 3 months. Offer: Limited time offer. Subject to change without notice. Conditions apply. After the 6 month promotional pricing has ended, call MTS or service will continue at then current charges (see mts.ca/hsi for current pricing). Internet: Service available in select areas. Thirty days’ notice required to cancel service. Actual Internet speeds may vary and are not guaranteed. Many factors affect Internet Speeds such as location, customer equipment, modem equipment, wireless home networking configuration, residential wiring, use of wireless modems, topographic and weather conditions and network management. This service subject to our Internet Usage Policy – visit mts.ca/internetusage for details. Unlimited use is subject to our Excessive Use Policy – visit mts.ca/excessiveuse for details about our network management practices. In-Home Wi-Fi: Customers subscribing to the Lightning 10 plan or a faster High Speed Internet plan are provided with a Wi-Fi enabled residential gateway router to allow them to share their MTS personal Internet plan amongst Wi-Fi enabled devices in their home. The security, confidentiality and privacy of wireless communications cannot be guaranteed. Use a Virtual Private Network and/or other hardware and software security features to help ensure the security of data and minimize the chance of interception.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi I called MTS they have no ideal they said I can only get lightening 20 as the fastest I do wish of faster I may have to go to westman communications group not that I went too:(

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi this must be good I would think lo.l Max Rate: 71980 kbs 11621 kbs
Modem Type: Built in modem - ADSL/VDSL
DSL Line Line 1 (inner pair)
Down Up
Rate: 35006 kbs 2047 kbs
Max Rate: 71980 kbs 11621 kbs
Noise Margin: 22.1 dB 27.0 dB
Attenuation: 8.6 dB 9.2 dB
Output Power: 14.5 dBm -24.1 dBm

Protocol: G.993.2_8d
Channel: Interleaved
DSLAM Vendor Information Country: {46336} Vendor: {BDCM} Specific: {41971 }
Rate Cap: 72113 kbs
Attenuation @ 300kHz: 3.7 dB
Required Impulse Noise Protection: 0
VCXO Frequency Offset: 18.4 ppm Ok
Excessive Impulse Noise: 0 Ok

·
Registered
338 Posts
I noticed the information sheet on Internet plans at the MTS stores now lists the Lighting 50 plan. It also still lists the old "Lighting" plan even though I thought it was effectively replaced with Lighting 10.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I'm pretty sure customers on the old ADSL platform (speedstream, actiontec modem etc) are still only capable of "up to" 7 Mbps. Unless they've improved that too. I believe only VDSL2 customers can only get 10 down. Classic TV running at the top profile gets 8.5 IIRC.

I could try screenshots. Then again, they don't guarantee speeds and I don't wanna get in trouble.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes your right was in Roblin and the best I have seen there is 5460/478 so not even 7 but has to do with how far and lines as well:)

·
Registered
693 Posts
Anyone have any update on MTS's roll out plans for the 50 in Winnipeg? I called them months ago and the said soon for my area (south St Vital), but there is still nada on expansion to this area.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Anyone have any update on MTS's roll out plans for the 50 in Winnipeg? I called them months ago and the said soon for my area (south St Vital), but there is still nada on expansion to this area.
My guess would be that they have to add more ports at the cabinet in each area (usually couple streets apart) as they seem to be using them up in a hurry lately. But I heard that only homes that are 450 metres or less (wire length) from the cabinet can get 50Mbps. In each cabinet, there are MANY people beyond that distance.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm still on the 32 Mbps Lightning Bolt plan. I had it before MTS ditched it, dropped speeds to 20 Mbps and then upped the prices. I have to pay the higher 20 Mbps price, but get to keep the 32 Mbps plan until I change it (which won't happen any time soon).

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
mcmanone, did they just reprogram your router from their end? Or did you have to get a service call? I just ordered the 50 plan and was told that my modem had to be replaced, since apparently the Residential Gateway (RG) Model 3801HGV-B isn't capable of getting anything above 20mbps. I'm kinda confused since I just got my MTS service in April and thought I had the newest router. Which router do you have? The earliest service call date isn't until October 30th which is ridiculous!

·
Super Moderator
16,401 Posts
mrgordos, according to page 1 of this thread, they will probably use the Pace 5168N, particularly if you need a bonded line.

In April, they wouldn't have given you a 5168N unless you were so far from the node that you needed a bonded line just for 20 Mbps.

·
Registered
217 Posts
My appointment is this Friday, I too need a new RG. What I was told was, that 50Mb needs a pair-bonded modem, as a phone line is only capable of up to 32Mb (which makes sense, since I had the old Bolt Internet service ,and it was shared 30Mb between TV and Internet.

If that is the case, the pair-bonded line would give me 64Mb, (50 for Internet, and 14Mb for TV) - I think that sounds about right.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Chances are if you are currently eligible for Lighting20 and are not pair bonded at some point Lighting50 will become available as it is essentially Lighting20 running on two phones lines instead of the single line Lighting20 uses.

21 - 40 of 113 Posts