Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone on this forum have any experience using an Atlona AT-Air3 to connect a PC wirelessly to an HDTV?

The setup includes a USB dongle with software that appears as a display to the PC. The display can be set up in either mirror or (better) extended display mode at up to 1920x1080. It encodes both video and audio, transmits using its own signal to a base receiver which then connects to the HDTV with an HDMI cable.

Reviews are very sparse, but the setup video on Youtube helps, and the users guide is quite well written.

I'm looking at using an old laptop PC (with enough horsepower to drive a 1920x1080 extended display) as an HTPC for Netflix, my own collection of videos and photos from a home server, and iTunes content to my HDTV and audio system.

If anyone's doing this, or has tried and given up on it, I'd appreciate hearing about your experience. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Atlona AIR3

Dear DigitalCyclist,

The Atlona AIR3 is a great device which will turn your Laptop into an HDMI source. The Air3 is perfect for those looking for a wireless solution to connect their PC to their TV. The AIR3 will handle slower moving images such as internet browsing, slideshows, PowerPoint presentations and much more with beautiful image clarity.

One limitation to the AIR3 however is high-bandwidth, fast moving images such as Netflix movies or downloaded movies being played back through the unit. Because the AIR3 takes a video signal, converts it into a wireless signal which is then sent to the base station which deciphers that wireless signal back into a HDMI video format, uring this time your movie may have changes frames once or twice which will cause the AIR3 to display a "slowed" video signal which will not be the displayed at the same Frames/sec as the movie would be if it were watched off a DVD player.

There are a few things that can be done to improve the video streaming of the AIR3 such as freeing up available bandwidth for the AIR to stream on (disable Flash hardware acceleration), however this will still not be the same quality as the movie being played off a DVD.

If you are seeking of a means of displaying media on your TV off your PC, we have some "wired" solutions which may better suit your needs. Two favorite products of mine are the AT-HDView and the AT-HDPix2. The HDView works off your VGA connection and thus does not require any drivers to be used while the HDPix2 Gives you more options for resolution and operates off your computers USB port, however this unit does require a driver to be installed prior to use.

In short, if you require a wireless connection, the AIR3 will be able to display images from your PC to a HDMI enabled display ( TV, Projector, Monitor, etc). However, if would like to have high quality video streaming off your Laptop our “wired” converter/scalers would serve you better.

Hopefully I was able to answer your question, If I can be of any more assistance please do not hesitate in contacting Atlona Technical Support through our website.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Atlona AIR3

Thanks for the timely and complete response. It's always great to see manufacturers/reps participating in forums and giving level-headed advice.

I've got an AIR3 on order and will be able to make great use of it even if it has some lag issues on video playback as you suggest. I've experimented with all kinds of windows media extenders and they all do some things well, but a bunch of things not well enough. A laptop PC is going to fit the bill quite well, with the AIR3 letting me keep the laptop across the room where it can be used for other things too. For various reasons, a wired solution won't work well for my setup.

If processing bandwidth in the dongle and/or base unit exhibit delay characteristics at full 1080 HD streaming, I'll back it off to 720 or less and I'll still have a better overall solution that what I've tried up until now. Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts