Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my mom a brand new big screen and ATN looks like garbage in SD.

Anyone know if there's any Hindi HD programming on any of the cable or satellite channels? I tried checking a couple of websites but I might have overlooked something.

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts
I don't believe there are any HD. I noticed during my optimizations for east Indian clients that the providers don't give a lot of bandwidth to these channels, either that or the original "recording" is not that great, or both - the PQ is not great.

A proper optimization can help, however, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Here are some useful posts, FAQs:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=18580 SD PQ

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76161 Optimization

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741 Useful post.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you live in India there is DD HD, which is (I think) the government-owned HD channel.

Here in Canada, on the CRTC the applications for some Indian-Canadian HD channels was approved, but it did not launch yet. There two ethic (multicultural) channels in Canada that are now broadcasting in HD; APTN HD (for the Aboriginal people) and Wow TV HD (for the Chinese people).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all, especially 57. I'd read many of the links contained within the links you posted, and did a search of the forum for south asian hd, just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed any recent updates.

Will using an HD box with an HDMI cable improve the SD signal quality over component cables from a regular digital box? I think I've done every other possible thing to make it look better, and we were planning on getting an HD box anyway.

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts
Will using an HD box with an HDMI cable improve the SD signal quality over component cables from a regular digital box?
I assume you mean composite cable since component cables would indicate an HD box. Nevertheless, there would likely be little/no difference. Perhaps S-video if the SD STB has it?

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76085 Cables & Connections

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Many posts removed as they were off-topic

The subject of the thread is

Any East Indian HD channels out there?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, thanks 57. They were indeed composite cables.

2415, I did a quick search and found the names of the channels: Bollywood Times HD TV and Mehndi HD TV, both approved in May 2010. How long do these channels typically take to launch?

I am surprised ATN has no HD offering, as Zee (with whom they are partnered) appears to have a couple of HD channels.

·
Banned
844 Posts
I am surprised ATN has no HD offering, as Zee (with whom they are partnered) appears to have a couple of HD channels.
I suggest you call ATN and see what they have to say, I am not sure if they even know much about HDTV?! I recall at a recent CRTC hearing (I believe it was for specialty channels & BDU's) they were asked a question about either on demand or HD (I can't recall which) and they really had no clue what the CRTC commissioner was talking about. They also stated that their customers do not know much about these technologies are not interested in them. Clearly that is false, I am sure many of their subscribers are aware of and know what high definition television is- they probably just downplayed things because they don't want to spend the money required to launch an HD feed.

Doing a quick search I discovered that the following channels in India have launched an HD feed:

NEO Cricket HD
STAR Plus HD
Zee Cinema HD
Zee TV HD

Zee & STAR are the two channels that they currently have programming from on their flagship service ATN Channel, so they should be able to at least launch an HD version of that. Of course, you would need a significant percentage of the ATN subscribers to want HD, as there is no point having two separate feeds of an ethnic channel and outside of Rogers I don't see who would even agree to carry ATN Channel SD & HD (if the HD existed)?!

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Another thing is convincing Rogers to allocate scarce bandwidth for these channels if and when they are available in HD.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Rogers has made good money marketing multicultural channels.

My guess is that the lack of HD channels may be due to the lack of HD material.

My suspicion is that many of these channels may simply be unavailable in HD.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hindi HD Channels

Hello All,

I just came upon this post and saw the name of Mehndi TV and Bollywood Times. I am the CEO of the firm and we are indeed starting up the channels soon. Just to clarify, there is indeed a lot of HD programing in Hindi available around the world and we believe quality conscious viewers will appreciate our attempt. The channels we are starting up are in HD and not upconverted from SD broadcast signals.

Mehndi TV - would be a women's only channels. Think "W" network in Hindi.
Bollywood Times - would be action dominated channel. Think "HBO" in Hindi.

We are in later stage negotiations with distributors like Rogers, Bell, Telus to start broadcasting this year.

As for ATN not knowing what HD is or SVOD is - I am not surprised. Till date they have shown Canadian's what they wanted and in the quality they wanted. Now Canadian's will soon have a channel on which they can watch what they want , where they want and in the quality they want.

Also, our channels dont require you to subscribe to ATN compulsorily.

Regards
Ron Maitra

1 - 12 of 12 Posts