Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, we've had the Moto one for a few years now, and every once in a while, I couldn't dial out, or call home from outside, and since we just moved a week ago, I thought to just have it changed since it was a few years old and technology improves over that much time (I'd hope!) as well as the battery probably won't last as long if the power goes out.

We ended up getting the Arris TM502G as a replacement - both were apparently available had I wanted the Moto. I did a quick search, and other than in the sticky thread where Shawguy says he likes his, I couldn't find much on it.

Tech said it's identical to the Moto, and has no drawbacks compared to it, it's just thinner.

Does anyone know if it's the same, better or worse than the Moto ones, and for what reasons?

PS We've got our alarm monitored too, which Shawguy mentions the Arris works better with, but we never had a problem with the Moto either the last few years in the old place, and it was monitored then too.

·
Registered
877 Posts
My tech told me something different. He said the Arris had a great deal more features than the Motorola. He showed me a list of them that he had - I should have copied it. Of course, he also said that they never deploy Motorola modems for Digital Phone any more and according to you that's not correct.

In any case, I really like my Arris, and since you had problems with the Motorola one, I'd say give the Arris a try.

m.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to hear. Maybe they're trying to get rid of their old Moto stock first so they're saying they're just as good! :rolleyes:

What types of features did it have, and are any of them things that you can set as a user, or request? I didn't think any phone features were customizable at the modem level, but rather set at Shaw?

·
Registered
877 Posts
You're right; nothing's customizable at the user level. I do remember from the list that the Arris worked better with alarm systems and fax machines. I never had a Motorola, but the Arris does indeed perform flawlessly with faxing - except, for some strange reason, on line 3. Lines 1, 2, and 4 work fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts