Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, I know that floor standing speakers have a deeper bass but is there any other difference between the two?

take the polk tsi200 and tsi300 as a reference.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Again, lots of variables...

What is the main purpose of your speakers?

Mostly music?

Mostly movies?

50% / 50% or higher percentage of music/movies?

Basically, book shelf speakers are your best bang for the buck however, if you consider your self a critical audiophile, you might prefer floor standing.

Floor standing speakers will usally offer larger and/or more drivers and potentially cover lower bass frequencies. However, my concern is that drivers are so small nowadays even in floor standing speakers that I wonder how is the SQ of such even in towers. You look for example at the M-10 and M-20s from Polk, as far as I am concerned the only advantage of choosing the floor standing would more likely be that you do not need stands for them :confused:

Now, you are mentionning the Tsi series which is a really nice speaker and here are the specs for both of them;

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/tsi/specs.php#bookshelf

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/tsi/specs.php#floorstanding

You should have noticed that the bookshelf (Tsi 200 and the TSi 300) share the exact same drivers and that the frequency rating and power efficiency are mighty close and the main reason is that there was no addition of any complement driver dedicated for the low end. If you were to step up for the Tsi 500, then the efficiency is little more significant since they use larger drivers along with the addition of an extra driver (however not dedicated).

However, if you look at the old Monitor series you might not get the spiffy look of the Tsi but you get the quality at a much lower price. This one has been proven for many years and are still your best bang for the buck. Look at the potential difference in efficiency between the largest Monitor bookshelf (Monitor 40) and the largest Floor Standing from the Monitor series (Monitor 70);

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/specs/recent/monitor40/

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/specs/recent/monitor70/

If you do your home work and take the time to use your favorite search engine (IE: google) you could find some great pricing in Canada.

The below link will provide you with a little more knowledge of speakers (old, 2004 but still apply nowadays);

http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=355878

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i currently have energy c-200 bookshelfs, i am wondering if the tsi-200 or rti a3 will be a noticable upgrade (book shelf wise)

if i was to get towers, it may come down to tsi500 vs rti a5, I have read online that even though the tsi500 is top end tsi. The rti a5 is still better. Whats your opinion on that.

Also, for slightly cheaper than those towers, martin logan motion 4 bookshelfs are an option. But there are few reviews on these :s

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
The main reason you probably can't find reviews on the MM is because the line is too new??? Anyway, you are talking different ball game with those as the power rating is only 75 watts and they are closer in size to satellite than bookshelf (look at the hand holding the speaker). Martin Logan use to be great expensive product but with those new line at such low price I am not sure at all. http://www.martinlogan.com/pdf/brochures/brochure_motion4.pdf

many people on here love Energy speakers, why would you want to move away from them?

If you compare the Tsi200 and your present energy c-200 you would be wasting money since you are nearly comparing apples for apples (except for brand of course). Nearly the same frequency and power rating. According to a review, the energy c-200 was lacking in the mid and high area but you would know better than I.

Same with the RTi A3, you are not gaining much in either frequency or power. If you are to stick with this type bookshelf, you might as well keep your energy c-200.

As comparing th Rti A5 (bottom of the RTi series tower) with the Tsi500 (top of the Tsi series) I guess it is a matter of opinion and an audiotioning would be recommended before you make your mind. Sure thing is the Tsi500 has more drivers of the same size (4 mid drivers), slightly more power and goes down slightly lower than the RTi A5 (2 mid drivers). So, your decision making would be in the audition portion since there isn't that much difference in the pricing I would believe. Another factor that might play in your decision is the look. While the TSi are a beauty, the nice curves of the RTi A5s might be a winner if the auditionning doesn't convince you on selecting a model rather than the other.

BTW, have you done any search at all on the Monitor 70s?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, the monitor line seems to be expensive right now (is it discontinued?).

Visions has the monitor 70s for $1,149.98 a pair.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The reason why I am considering those speakers even though I have energy c-200 is because I am moving. I am going from one surround sound set to 2, thus I have the option of keeping these in the HT and buying new ones for family room. Or i can buy new ones for HT and move the c-200 out.

I was able to find myself lolk lsi9 speakers for a really good price but, those are very power hungry I have heard and my receiver wouldn't be close to powering them.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Yeah, the monitor line seems to be expensive right now (is it discontinued?).
Yes, the Monitor series is considered vintage and not available direct from Polk any longer. However, reseller has stocked up on them and usally offer great deals. The nice thing is that they are proven speakers, Polk still backs them up 100% while pricing is so appealing compare to newer and unproven product. You know, the same applies with the RTi As, Polk is working on their new version of that product so you should never pay prime for the present models since they will eventually be part of their vintage products and good deals should be available for them from time to time. Unfortunately, here in Canada we don't the cream of those deals like the US does :( I have been making a little pressure the past couple years trying to get Polk direct to treath Canadians as good as their US clients but the problem seems to be the Canadian ruling on such products :(

Yes, the Lsi9s are great speakers and yes they are power hungry! The Lsi line is actually the Polk top of the line speaker and the good news is that those older models; Lsi7s, 9s and Lsi15s should be add at great pricing soon or later since Polk is soon to release their new line of Lsi products. They were very carefull to develop something that was actually in the mind of their customers. Many threads at CP involves customer marketting asking suggestions from members on what is it that they want. The Lsi series has been basically the same for many years so it is good to know Polk has decided to progress and offer a fully updated Lsi line.

Do you have pre-outs on your present receiver? If so, maybe you should look for a quality used amp to drive those babies?

Cheers!
TK

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I have a denon 1910, which doesnt have preouts.

If I were to get a quality amp it would cost me a lot because i need dolby IIz tech because my house is wired to either have 5.1 or 7.1 IIz

I am really in a hard spot, floorstanding speakers or bookshelfs

1)as far as bookshelfs go
which is better energy c-200 or polk tsi200 or polk rti a3

2) i just saw this at fs,
http://www.futureshop.ca/EN-CA/product/id/10123058.aspx?sku_id=0665000FS10123058&logon=&langid=EN

It has preouts right? also how much are external amps, how does that work.

EDIT: it doesnt do IIz does it, does yamaha have their own version of this?

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
1)as far as bookshelfs go
which is better energy c-200 or polk tsi200 or polk rti a3
As I pointed out, both speakers are comparable simply different brands and this is up to your preference. Now, you already own some c-200 thus the reason I say you would be wasting your money.

This specific receiver doesn't seem to have pre-outs. What pre-out does for you is bypass the receiver amp allowing you to plug an external amp. When it comes to external amp, you should look in the used market where you will maximize your purchase for the same $$$ spent.

Since I am not allowed to post price links on this conversation, I am sending a PM in reference the Monitor 70s. If you are interested in them, I would suggest you hit the store and audition them before you commit. The monitors are not as spiffy looking as the RTi series but just as good and at a friendlier pricing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts