Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nikiml and 300ohm, would you expect improved reception from a DBGH10n3 over SB? My GH10n3 works great, but it peeves me that there are two peanut whistle UHF stations that I am unable to receive most of the time, 46 miles north in Washington, DC. I am preparing to build another GH10n3 that should be eaiser for most folks to build and hopefully will be lighter than my first. I also want to have it aimed upward to fit conditions at my location. It would not be that much harder for me to add a second vertical bay, without the NARODs and their 3 reflectors in the second. My current SBGH10n3 gets the two available VHF stations 24/7 even during widespread thunderstorms. If it is worth a try, am I correct that the two bays could share the same end reflector rod? Would the correct spacing of phasing lines still be about an inch above the active elements and an inch apart?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the Useful Insights

Thanks for the suggestions re: DB GH10n3, with the second bay not having NARODs and the 3 NAROD reflectors. Sounds like my best strategy is to experiment with elevation aiming using existing GH10n3, partly to make up for the mast currently causing antenna to look slightly downward. What is driving me is that sometimes on some days I can get the remaining pipsqueak stations I seek. If re-aiming the current antenna does not bring them in, then I will build a DB. I have designed a single spine version that does not require precision drilling of plastic pipe; a simple jig is used to attach all the elements in their correct locations and orientations. I have also worked out a way to grip and attach reflectors made from fiberglas rod wrapped with metal tape. I would try stainless steel tape, even though its conductivity is lower than copper or aluminum, for several reasons. I already have a roll of stainless steel tape, and the metal is quite strong and tough. I stuck a tab of it to a clean vertical metal surface outdoors over five years ago, in a location exposed to direct mid-Atlantic US weather. The sample still looks like new and shows no sign of coming unstuck. I do not think the aluminum tape sold in home centers would be as durable outdoors as the stainless steel. My primary concern about building a DB has been connecting the bays together, and it appears that the Winegard SD 3700 provides the answer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.