Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some software to manage my personal investment portfolios of stocks, mutual funds, etc. Years ago I used to use MS Money but it has been discontinued. Quicken is still around but it seems that the "full" version is $110. Are there any alternatives to Quicken that work well to manage an investment portfolio, ideally with the ability to automatically retrieve quotes over the net.

I need to be able to track investments over time, calculate the cost basis when selling, do annual reporting to facilitate income tax filing, etc.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like GnuCash is an Open Source alternative but there don't seem to be too many other alternatives in the personal finance space.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yodlee MoneyCenter is another one or Quicken Online
Thanks for the suggestions. I would prefer software on my PC rather than a web based service - perhaps I am just paranoid.

I wasn't aware of Mint other than as a Linux Distro.

I don't know that Google Finance can track book value of investments over time, dividends, etc. which is what I need. I don't need to keep track of my back account, spending etc - I just care about investments which will be in stocks and mutual funds.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I know what you mean about being paranoid, it took me awhile to warm up to online banking.

The other day I received an email from Air Miles Rewards stating that their system had been hacked and they assured me that only my contact info was exposed so it's a little scary.

On the other hand someone could easily break into your home and walk away with your pc.

Isn't Mint online as well?

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Someone could walk away with my PC but I would notice that it was missing. I guess your right in that the info is already online so anyone at TD Waterhouse can already see everything in my account. I guess I should give them a try.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What was the verdict Wayne?

Wayne,

I am in the same boat.... made the mistake of purchasing Quicken 2011 in the vain hope that they would finally fix their bugs. Needless to say I am quite fed up with this software and am looking for a good alternative.

Have you found anything that met your needs?

~Noam

p.s feel free to email me directly at [email protected]

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I took a quick look at several of these but none of them looked particularly good. My particular need is for managing an investment portfolio of mutual funds, ETFs and stocks. I don't need or want to monitor my expense, bank account, etc. But that seems to be what most of these products are made for.

I have continued to use the old version of MS Money (I think the 2006 version) that I have but I am not sure that it still even works properly when it comes to automatically updating the latest price for these types of financial instruments.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am still usinsg Microsoft Money 2000 (V8) on Vista and stocks, mutual funds and bank accounts still update with the latest prices...

·
Registered
698 Posts
Just my 2 cents worth

Just came across this posting and found it very interesting. I too am still using Money 1999 and it works just fine on my computer. Money was available as part of a larger MS package for some years but not sure if even that is still available. Great programs always seem to die after a few years. The problem as I see it is that 10-year-old public school dropouts get smart in one extremely narrow field and just have to show "daddy" (the boss) how damned clever they are and promptly screw up with mods or changes to great programs and screw the program so far into the ground that nothing can reverse it. sailmaker

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
After a lousy bout with Quicken, years ago I switched to MS Money and eventually was told the update would quit working. I have one mutual fund that does not update and requires manual action. Everything else just keeps humming along.
Try globeandmail.com portfolio. Let us know.
That is one of the sites which basically caused MS etc. to say there was no demand for their software any more.
Whenever I set up a fund list or stock list, I seem to eventually lose cookies and have to reset which is not good, but have not set up a portfolio.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts