Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about switching to Optik when it becomes available in a couple of months. However since I just purchased a 3D TV for Christmas, I want to make sure they are broadcasting some 3D sports material. I see Shaw and Bell (need a mpeg4 receiver) are showing the winter classic. Does anyone know if Optik is broadcasting this game as well in 3D - I couldn't see anything on their website ? Thanks and Happy New Year.

·
Registered
34 Posts
yup there's a few things on like the winter classic, and you can get 3d VOD movies.
There's a 3d channel but all i've seen on it so far was the last 3d hockey game at the beginning of the month.

·
Registered
458 Posts
is the 3D channel free? or do you have to do something to turn it on?
I can see in the guide that a progam is on that channel but all i get when i turn to
the 3D channel is the colored bars (like when a station is off air)

·
Registered
34 Posts
that's a good question... i think as long as you don't have the 'call 310-6988 to order' message, you have that channel. I have the medium combo, and i have the 3d channel. although not many other hd channels

·
Banned
548 Posts
Its free. There are color bars on it when there is no programming avail. There is also a 3D VOD movie section, that`s not free.

- another TELUS tech

·
Registered
16 Posts
Telus 3D Channel

I've had Telus for a couple weeks now. They have a channel labeled "3D Chanel" and they advised me of this channel but I haven't seen a single show aired on it yet... has anyone seen anything on it? And if so what?

·
Banned
328 Posts
It has only aired specialty sports programming, the New Years Heritage Classic hockey game, the Flames Heritage Classic in February and a golf tournament sometime in January/February. There are some PPV programs on the VOD for 3D programming but right now the selection for 3DTV's is minimal.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Optik 3D Channel

I've had Optik for a couple months now.. not a single show on the 3D Channel.. what gives? Couldn't they at least air the freaking NHL Playoffs in 3D!!??

·
Registered
114 Posts
dragotron, how can you expect TELUS to air 3D hockey playoffs when nobody is broadcasting any playoff games in 3D? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
16 Posts
OK allow me to segregate where i'm placing complaint.

75% of my complaint is going towards Telus for having a channel labeled "Telus 3D Channel" and having their call center report to potential customers that they have a 3D Channel when in fact NOTHING IS EVER SCHEDULED let alone aired.

25% of my complaint goes towards the networks taht aren't filming in 3D..

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm not sure what you are expecting TELUS to do. So you'd rather TELUS not have a designated 3D channel and get zero 3D programming?

Your complaint is akin to blaming Canada Post because your mailbox is empty when nobody is sending you any mail.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I do wonder though why telus cant at least show "reruns" of whats already been on. Im not saying they have to do it every day all day but one day a week or something wouldnt kill them. I never did get too see the discovery channels dino show in 3d.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Ok smithfan, now there's a valid idea. At least that's something TELUS is control of - I think. Not sure if there are distribution agreements with the owners of the programming that limit this.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Call me a cynic but if Telus did show repeats of programing there
would be complaints about how Telus is only showing repeats on the 3D
channel and not new programming :)
but i agree. be nice to have something on the 3D channel more than there is now. Good thing i got 2 pair of 3d glasses for free when i got my tv last boxing day, havent had much use for them yet (and still have one set in the box)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Broadcast 3D is pretty much non-existent in Canada at the moment. To my knowledge, only three events have been on in 3D ever. Two games on Hockey Night in Canada, and one PGA Tournament. I can't remember if the FIFA World Cup was in 3D, I think it was so that would make four. ESPN 3D broadcasts a lot of sports in 3D, but since there is no Canadian provider to simulcast these things they won't show it in Canada. Both the MLB Home Run Derby (ESPN) and All-Star Game (FOX) were in 3D last year, but only the Home Run Derby (ESPN) was in 3d this year. None of these were shown on the Telus 3D channel.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts