Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK..I am coming down to the wire in my purchase decision and I was thrown a curve... A local store has a Sony KDL-55XBR8 (used) for $2000. I was told the previous owner has eye problems and the off angle viewing was hard on him. The TV is 1 year old( I check it out..looks great) and has another 4 years warrantee that can be transferred I am told. He even put a watt meter on it and it used 110 watts watching a bluray movie..I thought this TV was a energy hog?
My other choices (new would be..
sony KDL-60EX703
sony-55HX701
Samsung LN55C750

they all look great..the XBR8 is old(er) and I doubt has any streaming abilities so...any insights?

anything is appreciated

S

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Why are you picking LCD? What other models have you looked at? What's your budget?

Just throwing out a bunch of model numbers doesn't mean much until we understand why you've chosen the models you have

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have looked at many but the ones I mentioned are the ones that looked the best in store...as it comes down to my eyes correct..as for price about $2500 tax in about. I also did my research on those models for what they offer...and my needs
Why LCD over Plasma..honestly not sure on that one other than the fact( correct me if I am wrong) but power use is much higher in a plasma and I try to be a green as possible...I know..stay away from big TV's but..

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Power use is not higher in plasma.

As I say, unless you can identify why you might pick one set over another, its almost impossible for anyone to help you make the decision that's right for you.

It's like asking what car is right for you. While there might be several models that fight your needs, it's hard to give advice when you don't articulate your needs. At $2,500, you have a healthy budget so my suspicion is there are more models out there that could be thrown in the mix

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya you're right..I guess we all hope people will chime in and say stay away from this or stay away from that. With the XBR8...its used
I think it all comes down to reliability..which ones seem to be the best as far as longevity and we hope that others can give us the answers
onward upward!

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
For reliability, check out Consumer Reports. It's well worth the price of a magazine to learn more about which brands have the best records. Yet another reason why I picked a Panasonic Plasma.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The XBR8 is one of the best two LCD sets ever made, the other the Samsung 8500. The XBR should have a superior picture to the other sets you've listed. As well seeing it comes with a 4 year warranty and the others will only come with a 1 year warranty, I would say its definitely a good choice. The only thing the Sony can't do is streaming if your into that, me, I could care less about internet connectivity.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks bigdoubledee

streaming is important but you could easily stream from another device such as the WD live hub/bluray etc I assume?

S

1 - 8 of 8 Posts