Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a BB 9700 and am 'quite' happy with it. However, the more I get into the media portion - such as playing podcasts, music etc - it is quite possible THE worst user experience. It is RIGHT up there with the BB web browser.

That being said, BB is GREAT for messaging as many of you know. I am often using blackberry messenger and sms.

I think we all use smart phones for many of the same things - news, sports, stocks, weather etc... and they can ALL do that to some degree of success including the bold 9700.

That being said, the iPhone 4's media capabilities are far superior along with the screen BUT messaging is NOT nearly the same.

Has anyone else had this debate? What made you choose which smartphone? I'm thinking about switching but I fear that the grass really isn't greener on the other side, ya know?

Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
The iPhone is a much, much better multimedia experience, without question. That said, the Bold 9700 is still a very nice phone. Are you under contract for the Bold?

Personally I'd recommend looking at an iPod Touch. They carry much of the same multimedia capabilities but with the added bonus of no service plan or contract. While you'd have to carry two devices, at least you would have the advantage of keeping the messaging capabilities (and battery life, which is a huge difference too) of the Bold, which are better than the iPhone.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
You are correct that the iPhone is the best in terms of media capabilities (thanks to the tight integration with iTunes).

If you are near the end of your contract or are willing to buy a device outright, I'd consider taking a look at the upcoming BlackBerry Torch 9800 slider. It has a new media player (and web browser) and might be an option that will allow you to keep the messaging functions you like about BlackBerry while helping to improve the media playback capabilities. The Torch comes out on September 24th and I believe Rogers, Bell, & Telus have all announced they will carry it.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Keep in mind that the iPhone's alerting options pale in comparison to the BB. No "priority 1 alerts" or anything like that. So it depends on whether that is critically important to you or not. If not, I'd give up the BB for the iPhone in a heartbeat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts