Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
I have no idea what Telesat's plans are for F2 but there is absolutely no way G1 can handle any additional capacity. G1 only has 16 transponders and given that some transponders will have as many as 12 HD signals, they are already pushing the limits of MPEG-4 compression and 8PSK Turbo modulation. My guess is long term, television services will remain at 111W on Ku-Band and 107W xKu. Telesat will likely lease an unused satellite(s) and collocate them at 111W. I'd imagine if services are planned to remain at 111W long term, a new satellite will be ordered soon but it will take at least 2-3 years for delivery. I believe G1 has about 8 years left in its expected lifespan and television services is only licensed to xKu until 2029 so if television services is still a thing for Shaw Broadcast then, I'd imagine a replacement satellite will need to be ordered for either Ku or xKu at 107.

There is also the television services on the Nimiq satellites for Bell. I'm not sure if Bell has long term plans for satellite television but I believe the Nimiq 4 reaches end-of-life in 2023 and Nimiq 6 in 2027. As I've mentioned in previous threads, I do think Bell will eventually phase out support for MPEG-2 hardware and will likely eliminate all MPEG-2 services at some point. When that happens, Bell will likely have as many as 20 transponders that are no longer in use. If that happens, Telesat can extend the life of the Nimiq 4 satellite by powering down these transponders.

I'd be curious to know what the subscriber numbers are for Bell TV and Shaw Direct. I know about 10 years ago, Bell had around 1.5 million subs and I think Shaw Direct was around 800-900k. I have no idea how many subs Shaw Direct has bled over the years but I'd imagine for Bell, many customers in Ontario and Quebec have been transitioned to Fibe TV services. If subscriber counts have dropped dramatically in urban areas, you have to start wondering if it makes sense for there to be two satellite carriers in Canada.

·
Registered
221 Posts
@bigoranget

Your comment:

"I believe G1 has about 8 years left in its expected lifespan and television services is only licensed to xKu until 2029 so if television services is still a thing for Shaw Broadcast then, I'd imagine a replacement satellite will need to be ordered for either Ku or xKu at 107."

This brings up a question: if xKu for television is only licensed until 2029, how would it be possible to order a replacement bird on the xKu band after that date?

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
Shaw Direct can always get their license to use that spectrum extended. Telesat could always order a regular Ku Bird for the 107 slot (assuming that the spectrum at that location isn't sold off to another Satellite operator).

Let's hope there will always (!) be 2. But if only one, my vote goes to SD.
My thoughts on this are Shaw Broadcast handles all the head-end distribution and uplinks. There is no reason why third party companies can't rebadge the television service under their brand. Bell and Telus had this type of relationship for years.

·
Super Moderator
16,718 Posts
I'd be curious to know what the subscriber numbers are for Bell TV and Shaw Direct. I know about 10 years ago, Bell had around 1.5 million subs and I think Shaw Direct was around 800-900k. I have no idea how many subs Shaw Direct has bled over the years but I'd imagine for Bell, many customers in Ontario and Quebec have been transitioned to Fibe TV services. If subscriber counts have dropped dramatically in urban areas, you have to start wondering if it makes sense for there to be two satellite carriers in Canada.
Latest quarterly reports:

Bell IPTV 1,767,182
Bell Satellite 1,005,282

Shaw Cable 1,485,799
Shaw Satellite 697,225 (658,137+39,088)

Shaw breaks down consumer and biz, so I totaled them.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So once F1R goes out of service. I wonder whether it will go into a parking orbit or will it be deorbited. F1R also had some C band frequencies. So assuming it is moved out of the slot Shaw will still hold a licence for C and ku band service at 107. Will they have to move something there to keep the licence ie use it or loose it type of deal or could they sublet the spot for those bands kind of like they did at 119 with Anik F3. Move another satellite in place and sublet it to someone else?

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
I looked back and Bell Satellite at its peak had 1.8 million subscribers so Bell's IPTV service in Ontario, Quebec and Maritimes has really cut into the Satellite division. They have lost nearly half of their subscriber base where as Shaw Direct still appears to be stable being about 150,000k lower than it's peak of around 800,000 subs.

·
Super Moderator
16,718 Posts
Bell was aggressively marketing to get its satellite customers in Ontario to switch to Fibe TV, so it sounds like they were successful.

I don't know which year you're comparing, but Bell's IPTV subs were probably negligible, so they gained TV customers, while Shaw has been losing in both its satellite and cable divisions.

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
I think the numbers were from 2012 so about 8 years ago. I live in the Hamilton area and I can say there is way less Bell and Shaw Direct dishes then there use to be. I tend to see just as much FTA setups as I do Bell or Shaw Direct. Bell did there first rebuild on the Hamilton Mountain back in 2013/2014. They seem to be doing another wave of upgrades in a few subdivisions in our area right now. Probably upgrading from fibre to the node to fibre to the curb.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Our sister building opened more than a year ago and it only has Rogers and Bell Fibe available. Our building still has Rogers, Shaw, Bell Sat and Bell Fibe. Would change to Fibe but we own all our equipment and not worth the financial increase. ! will probably be long gone before the equipment expires!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts