Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shaw Broadcast has announced that Anik F1R is officially reaching EOL. Over the course the summer and fall of this year (2020) the remaining signals will move to either F2 or G1. C band signals will also be impacted with further announcements to come for C Band signals.

See https://www.shawbroadcast.com/Documents/2020/jan/22/EOL ANIK F1R.pdf for details on the signals impacted.

I would expect in the coming months Shaw Direct and Shaw Broadcast will post details of when and where the signals will move much like they did for the mpeg4 conversions that happened in 2018 and 2019.

Unfortunately for southern subscribers there will be additional signals that move to G1.

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
I would imagine Anik F2 is also approaching end of life as well but Telesat may simply lease one or more satellites at the 111 location to keep customers in-service there. They have done it before. Back in the early 2000s, they leased the old Galaxy 3R satellite, moved it to 111 and renamed it Anik E2R.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I seem to recall reading in previous posts that G1 was near full capacity but F2 was near empty after the Mpeg4 transition.

Would anyone have more details on that?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It depends on how many signals they put on each transponder on G1 some have as many as 12. If they went that route I calculate up to 51 more signals. If they went with 10 per transponder then about 29 more signals.

F2 has 10 open transponders and each carry about 9 signals so that would allow 90 signals. Some of those empty slots may be used for for Centre Ice, NFL and shared with PPV's. So depending on how many transponders on F2 can be lit up there is plenty of space between both satellites.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
snapshot in time at 111W, I scanned the spectrum, and saw 14 of 16 TPs in use on Vert Pol, and 14 of 16 in use on Horiz Pol. Would leave approx 4 empty Plus or minus.. (assuming it's capacity is 32 TP in total). No tellin what they are all used for, but I do see carriers... seems someone may have been misinformed.
dunno how up to date to expect, but you can have a look here and sift thru for yourself.
https://www.lyngsat.com/Anik-F2.html

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used the Shaw broadcast spreadsheet to get the 10 open transponders on F2. It may be that they are not listing the occasional feeds.

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
There are other customers that use the ku-band transponders than Shaw Direct. There are 32 transponders at 111, whether all of them can be made available to Shaw Direct is another question. As mentioned, Anik F2 is likely approaching end-of-life soon too, so they might not be able to power all 32 transponders. They may have some powered down to conserve power.

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
There are two transponders on F1R that were owned by Bell. Those signals were used by Shaw Direct before all MPEG-4 migration. These transponders were not part of the migration plan. I'm not sure of Bell Media is still uplinking signals to those transponders or not. THey were all SD feeds. CBC also has 2x transponders on F1R Ku for there various feeds. These were not used by Shaw and used DVB-S modulation/encryption. Not sure if CBC plans to relocate these feeds or discontinue them. I'd imagine most of their feeds are delivered by fibre or other means these days.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited by Moderator)
@bigoranget Shaw Broadcast shows the two Bell Media transponders as empty so they may have vacated them. Shaw Direct was piggy backing off or those signals for the Std Def version but that need is now gone as they have replaced those signals with HD versions elsewhere on G1 or F2.

re F2 approaching EOL unless they have determined that there is considerable life left in it and with no announcements on an F2 replacement the only other option left would be to lease another satellite(s) and park it at its slot like you noted they did with E2R.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
The question remains, even with migration from F1R to F2, according to that link I posted, F2's end-of-life should be this year as well. If that's the case, I guess there will be a few cancelled accounts this year :)

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No doubt with the absence of any announcement of a new replacement satellite they will lease and move another satellite into place. Don't forget Shaw Broadcast is there to serve cable headends first. They will not abandon those customers.

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
Don't forget Shaw Broadcast is there to serve cable headends first. They will not abandon those customers.
Exactly...Telesat will find a way to keep things in service at 111 and if that means leasing old satellites...they will. I'm sure if there is demand, they will place two new satellites at 107 and 111 at some point. If I remember correctly, Shaw Broadcast/Direct is only licensed for extended Ku until 2028/2029.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So Shaw Broadcast has posted the final notice about moving signals from F1R. All the signals will be moving to G1. A dual feed to begin June 2nd and end Oct 6th. A dual feed means that the signals will be on both satellites for the 4 month period. Shaw Direct usually only changes the channel maps at the end of the dual feed. So those below the the G1 footprint will no longer receive channels like
History West
YTV West
W West
Teletoon West
Omni 1
Omni 2
and many smaller market CBC and CTV stations
will be lost in southern provinces Oct 6

Details here

https://www.shawbroadcast.com/Documents/2020/apr/16/End of Life of F1R -Relocation of ku-band signals .pdf

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Thanks - still wondering what’s happening with F2, since they went up nearly together - but I haven’t seen any warnings about it yet...

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
F2 must have some life left in it. At some point they (Shaw Broadcast) will either have to invest in a new bird or lease an existing one and move it into place.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Does anyone know:

1- Is this the last of the transfers from F1 to G1 ?

2- When F2 closes, will those F2 channels also migrate to G1 or is G1 now at full capacity?

Hate losing all these stations in the Southern provinces...

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I haven't mapped them all out but by first glance it will pretty much fill G1 especially with the conversion of the remaining Std Def signals already on G1 to HD in May.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So when the on board Std Def to HD conversions happen (May) and the F1R moves (Jun) there will be 12 HD signals on most transponders. The Shaw Broadcast charts don't always show PPV slots and the Sports Packages. Factor those in and there may be about 5 or 6 slots left. Not enough for the F2 signals.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts