Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I'm loving Android Messenger / Android Messages. One thing Id like to know is if you have multiple numbers for the same contact, so for example, Jack has a Land line and a mobile number. When I find his Name in the Android Messages app, the Landline is the primary one and it makes it difficult to send a text to the mobile, but for other contacts such as Billie with more than one number, the mobile is the primary and the landline is automatically the second number when I search. I like it how it is for Billie, but not how it is for Jack. I've tried deleting the contacts and re-entering them or moving the mobile number up top then the cell below, but android messages doesn't make any difference, its like there is a secret hash stored with the entries and its putting them in order with another identifier?

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Is this Samsung? Try using the stock message app to compose a text it should on your first text ask you to select the default number to use for texts..

I usually use googles app but recently tried the stock Samsung app and noticed this request on first message composed..

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it is LG but it really does not matter which brand the device is. the app that I send messages with is called Android Messenger. The contacts are stored on the phones hard drive but sync'd to the cloud. If you do not know how to fix this issue with Android messenger, I will wait untill someone who knows replies.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Ease up a touch. Wow
I offered a suggestion not knowing all your details..

It was an observation from what I have experienced. The Samsung app set the default and the android/Google messager app recognized the default number afterwards.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
369 Posts
it is LG but it really does not matter which brand the device is. the app that I send messages with is called Android Messenger. The contacts are stored on the phones hard drive but sync'd to the cloud. If you do not know how to fix this issue with Android messenger, I will wait untill someone who knows replies.
It can make a difference because companies like Samsung sometimes like to replace applications like "Contacts" with their own modified version.

But if your phone is the same as mine (I'm using a Note 5), open up "Contacts", go into a specific contact, hit the menu button in the top right corner, and select "set as default".

It will then ask you to choose home, mobile, business, etc

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it sets the number as default for "calling" but for texting when i type the name in the search box, the landline comes up as the first (default) option for some contacts, thanks anyways tho :|

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it might work for the default SMS application which is called Messaging, but the one I am using is called Messages aka Android Messenger, which did not come factory installed on my phone, I had to install it to gain RCS functionality

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't Sync my contacts thru Google, but I did check the other partner i sync them with, its mobile number showing first, then landline number showing below, just as I entered it the first time

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just confirmed, if u have more than one number for a contact, it shows the lower number first, so for example, 416-111-1111 will be home and 905-222-2222 will be mobile it will always show the 416 first on the list, it sorts them by order and ignores the "mobile" "work" or "home" types

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
If you put a "1" in front of one of the numbers and leave the "1" off the other will that change the sort order and therefore put the number you want first. The one wont make any difference for cellular dialling but may solve your problem. The only time it might impact you is if you are in a long distance situation you will get a message that the number you are about to dial (without) the "1" could incur long distance charges.

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
putting the 1 infront did not solve the problem, android messages ignores the leading 1 and sorts by area code only. but I sorta solved the problem inadvertently. My wife and I both received new phones, this time we are using Samsung, and Samsung has its own in-house messages app with built-in RCS functionality, which alleviates the need to use Google's Android Messenger application. So far I like it. I have realtime RCS messages, text and mms messages all in the same app and my mobile numbers are first priority which they should be, i am going to send some feedback to google to see if they can fix this in a new release down the road. thanks for all the help

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
almost one year later and I am more than ever happy with samsung's implementation of RCS messaging. It works great, It has all the functions I need of a messaging app and shows the contacts with mobile numbers first over the contacts with fax and work numbers, after all, why would I want to send a message to a "fax" number? highly unlikely. But yeah it works great. About a year ago only one contact of mine had "RCS" capabilities, but about a year later about a good 10+ contacts on my phone have RCS capabilities and I can chat in real time with them and see the status of the message and can send large photos to them etc. The only real thing im waiting for is them to open up RCS integration between Bellus and Fidogers. Bell is using a limited version of RCS which I hope they will update to the full RCS that rogers has. cant wait, cant wait

1 - 16 of 16 Posts