Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
They're free because Android apps send your private info, and your contacts' private info, to 3rd party people such as the app developers or even other groups, all without your knowledge.

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
I've only seen a couple with ads. Most of the free apps don't have them.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Most of the free kids games I have installed have ads. Very annoying because it's easy for kids to hit the ad accidentally.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
They're free because Android apps send your private info, and your contacts' private info, to 3rd party people such as the app developers or even other groups, all without your knowledge.
That is a pretty over-the-top statement and I find it extremely difficult to believe. Do you have anything that substantiates your claim or are you just making it up?

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I don't know if or what data an app would send to anyone but with many of the free apps I've installed I had to agree to give access to all sorts of information in my device. Phone numbers, contacts, history, etc. Don't know why as most of those apps were kids games. I don't care anyways because it's just a test device I'm evaluating (Galaxy Pad).

Here's an interesting article, old so I don't know how relevant it is now.

Still made me a bit uneasy at the level of permissions some apps wanted when it wouldn't have anything to do with the app.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts