Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

61 - 80 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
I gather you are both not on robelus or any of their subsidiaries?
Both mine and my wife's Nexus S are on Wind. I bought my phone in March from Best Buy in the States, she bought her's last month from Wind directly.

Go to androidcentral dot com and look for the article, "How to manually update your GSM Nexus S to Ice Cream Sandwich". There you will get step-by-step instructions on how to upgrade your Nexus S to ICS, including a link to download the zipped file.

PLEASE NOTE: This upgrade procedure is ONLY for Nexus S phones that run on GSM (T-Mobile in the States. Wind and Mobilicity in Canada).

·
Registered
484 Posts
I upgraded my Galaxy S Captivate today to the beta ICS build. It works pretty well, not perfect, but I can live with the issues. The interface is very nice, a bit choppy at times, but I put that down to being a beta. The upgrade was surprisingly easy, to be honest. It would have been a lot easier if I hadn't 'bricked' it once and had to figure out how to fix it, but that was my fault.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Installed RC1.0.1 the other day, everything seems to work well, mail and calendar sycing correctly, speed is very good, loving it!

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Bookmarks seem a little buried to me in ICS (stock browser). You have to go tabs, then bookmarks, then your bookmark. I guess it's only one extra press but still!

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Agreed - took me a while to figure it out.

At the very least, I'd love it if a bookmark button was added to the Quick Menu (enable it in Labs, and when you hold a finger near the left or right screen edge, you'll get a quick menu offering access to tabs, the URL bar, or Settings). I use this mode combined with Full Screen mode for the browser and really like it. Adding a bookmark button there would make it perfect.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Got this from Android forums. Hopefully a bug free (or less buggy)official update soon...

"News (1/31/2012): An Android version 4.0.4 build has recently leaked for the Nexus S 4G. This build won't work for those of us on the GSM version, but the fact that it carries a newer version number clearly suggests that Google is continuing to work out the various bugs we've seen in 4.0.3. There's a good chance we may all be seeing a 4.0.4 OTA in the near future."

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have a GN purchased from Fido, currently used on WIND. I love the phone. Juice Defender helps a lot with battery life.

I wish I was on something a little higher than 4.0.1 though... still no OTA update available, although I hear some people in Canada on GSM devices are on 4.0.3.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Has anyone else tried the Chrome app for ICS yet. It's pretty impressive the way it can sync your desktop bookmarks. It seems faster than the standard browser too. Though it seems to be missing the "read it later" and "choose desktop page version" options.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
While the Chrome browser is fast, they definitely need to work on rendering. Font sizes are all over the place (such as these forums or a site like www.dailytech.com). I will admit that form having is better than the stock browser though. Tends to follow the cursor a lot better.

61 - 80 of 133 Posts