Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Being new to the Android platform, can you please tell me who is responsible for updating an existing smartphone to ICS? The service provider, the hardware OEM? Or is up to the consumer's discretion?

Is there anyway to tell if your phone is compatable (HTC panache on Mobi, in my case :)), such as a list of upgrade-able hardware ?

cheers.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
The hardware manufacturer if it's a factory unlocked device (and sometimes for the locked ones)
Otherwise your carrier, as they often have their own customized versions.
The exception is the Nexus series, which gets updates straight from google (and therefore the fastest)

If you're not opposed to unlocking/rooting you can install any version for your phone that you'd like, yourself.

·
Super Moderator
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Except for Nexus devices, the manufacturer is always responsible for making the version of Android run on their hardware. If the phone is a carrier sold device, once the manufacturer finishes the update the carrier needs to test and approve it.

Here's how it works:

For a Nexus device: Google -> You

For a factory unlocked device: Google -> Manufacturer -> You

For a carrier sold device: Google -> Manufacturer -> Carrier -> You

I would be surprised if the Panache gets an official update as there aren't a lot of them out there. However, it may well get an unofficial custom ROM built by a third party.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Not impressed with google on that one.
The hardware is barely below that of the NS, so I don't buy their 'too old' argument.

I wouldn't be surprised if CM can make a build that works flawlessly on it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The Xoom is slated to get ICS as stated by Motorola - "We are planning to upgrade DROID RAZR™ by Motorola, Motorola RAZR™, Motorola XOOM™ and DROID BIONIC™ by Motorola to Ice Cream Sandwich. We will provide more precise guidance on timing after post-public push of Ice Cream Sandwich by Google, as well as any possible additions to this list of devices."

https://supportforums.motorola.com/community/manager/softwareupgrades

·
Registered
697 Posts
I suspect the limited internal storage might be the issue. If ICS is 10-15% bigger than Gingerbread, that would leave critically low space for apps. I'm having space issues as it is.
Me too. Slight OT, but does rooting a N1 allow you to move system apps out of internal storage and onto the micro SD?

·
Member #1
47,716 Posts
The Xoom is slated to get ICS as stated by Motorola
Did you really think that Google wouldn't update its own tablet ;)

·
Super Moderator
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Well the Xoom isn't technically Google's device in the same way that Nexus phones are. It was the first device to launch Android 3.0, but it was still a Motorola tablet. Just like the G1 was the first Android handset, but it was still an HTC device.

Still, it would have been very disappointing if they hadn't planned on updating it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
My understanding is that only Xoom's sold in the US were GED's.

I'm just happy that the Xoom will be upgraded to ICS as I had no such expectations when I purchased it with lowly Honeycomb 3.0.

Hopefully it means that at least until hardware becomes the limitation the Xoom and other Android devices will receive standardized OS updates.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I've been following the N1 development thread on xda, it is coming along very nicely.
I'm not going to take the plunge just yet as I'm waiting for important calls and such I wouldn't want to miss. But over the holidays, for sure I will.

Shame google abandoned us when the phone is clearly 100% capable (ok.. 95% if you remove NFC, FFC and related functions :p)

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I tried ICS on my Desire over the weekend. Very nice but its was Beta 0.1 and for some reason i had Market issues so played for a bit and switched back to another ROM. I had market issues on other roms this weekend so im sure it was not the ICS issue just mine i think..

It was very crisp and clean looking. I think i need to update my partition structure and try a new recovery because im running on old versions that might be giving me issues. im not sure im no expert.

·
Super Moderator
6,436 Posts
Is ICS just for the new phones/tablets coming out or will my 6 month old phone be updated from 2.3 to 4.0?

21 - 40 of 133 Posts