Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^^^
I have a Nexus One, which I bought directly from Google. I expect 2.3 fairly soon. I've already had 2.2 for a while.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
2.3?? Man. We're still waiting for the 2.2 Froyo update for the Samsung Galaxy S. Taking forever.
I told my friend I'd bet I get GB before he gets 2.2, looks like I might be right.
Too bad we didn't actually bet on it! :p

(N1 direct from google for me as well)

·
Registered
569 Posts
After admiring my N1, my FiL's shopping for an Android mobile.

Having briefly looked at the available handsets, I'm curious if anyone here knows why nothing ships with anything >2.1 (SE's X10 still has 1.6), and as far as I can tell, only the N1 received the 2.2 update?

Is there a technical/other reason behind this?

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
HTC desire got the update.

HTC desire z is shipping with 2.2

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Is there a technical/other reason behind this?
The reason is "other". The carrier subsidized phones are always later with updates because of the customizations they need made.

As TKG26 pointed out, the Desire got 2.2 just recently. I assume my N1 will be running 2.3 by the end of the week.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Just to clarify, carrier branded phones are always later. It dont matter if you paid 0$ on a 3 year for your phone or 799$ full pop with no contract... If its a carrier branded phone... you wait. :(

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^^^^
Also, the updates have to go to the phone manufacturers, before the carriers can get their hands on it.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Something I'm not understanding. If the carrier is a piece of the update puzzle, then how is the update released? OTA? I thought Samsung released firmware updates via Kies.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
According to Google:

Gingerbread is the fastest version of Android yet, and it delivers a number of improvements, such as user interface refinements, NFC support, a new keyboard and text selection tool, Internet (VoIP/SIP) calling, improved copy/paste functionality and gyroscope sensor support.
Hope I see it pop up soon.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Seems to me like Gingerbread is more exciting for developers than end-users. A whole lot of implementation for support for things like front-facing cameras, VOIP/SIP, and NFC tech. But other than a minor cosmetic redesign and an improved keyboard, I'm not really seeing anything that I'll notice immediately. FroYo brought faster browsing, Flash, and native tethering, all of which were really cool for me.

Now I guess it's down to developers to show end users why Gingerbread is exciting. Hopefully Google themselves will be able to quickly improve the Google Android Apps to make use of these improvements (like maybe voice/video chat in an improved Google Talk app).

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I like the SIP integration the most. No need to have a third party app which are often resource hogs/buggy/battery killers, etc.
(I'm assuming, of course, the native service is the opposite, lol)

The redesigned keyboard/UI will probably be nice, but I won't know until I can get hands-on.

NFC doesn't mean much to me, as I don't have the hardware.
And no one out there does either. Only matters for upcoming models.

GB's not actually coming out to N1 users yet, that was a false report. :(

Probably won't be long now, though. Seeing how it's officially on google's site.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
The SIP integration looks neat, but I'm curious to see how well they can deal with low-latency audio. There's a product for the iPhone called iRig, and quite a few people have been asking for an Android version. Unfortunately, before Gingerbread, there wasn't a way to access a low-latency audio stack so it really wouldn't work well.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
It took a little longer than I had hoped but I'm running a Gingerbread ROM on my NexusOne now.

It was available a couple of weeks ago but it didn't have trackball wake until a couple of days ago.

So far the biggest thing I've noticed is that it does a much better jobs of managing moving apps to the SD card.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Should be officially available in the next couple days, apparently.

Android Gingerbread, though -- aka Android 2.3 -- was announced in early December. Google's new Nexus S hit the market with the software preinstalled just over a month ago. So where's the Nexus One's portion?

Google's answer: Don't worry -- it's on the way. A representative from the Android team tells me there have been no unexpected hurdles and that the rollout should be starting soon.
http://blogs.computerworld.com/17687/nexus_one_gingerbread

Quite a few other sites are saying 'in a few days' as well, so let's hope.

I know I could install a custom rom right now, but can't be bothered. Besides, I'd rather have the 'official' version that (ideally) is bug free :p

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My phone just updated, but it's only v2.2.2

1 - 20 of 43 Posts