Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Please please please please please let us update OTA (haha, yeah right!) ;)

Seriously though, if we get Froyo before Christmas, I just might be a bit happier with this phone.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
There's been a leaked Froyo build for the Bell Vibrant (build JK3). Given that it's not loaded via Kies, I wouldn't recommend it for most users, but I will say that GPS performance is definitely improved, and the browser is nice and fast as well.

Too early to tell if the freezing issue persists, but so far so good. I haven't noticed anything buggy with this release yet, so hopefully it's a good sign of what's to come when Samsung releases the official Froyo build next month.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Dl'd it for my brother last night and he says the phone is even faster than before. Ran the speed test and it maxed out at almost 21 mbps over wifi!!! Before it was only getting a measly 17mbps...

I'm betting the Lincore and Neocore tests will be crazy!!!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Did the update last night. It went well other than all the apps got sorted alphabetically losing the page grouping I did. :mad: I hope that's addressed with the eventual 2.3 upgrade. It also cleared out the shortcuts and widgets too.

For those that are going to try it, be patient when the phone reboots. It stays on the Galaxy S screen for a long time but will eventually get going.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm having a lot of trouble getting my phone to connect to my pc via Kies.

I have tried reinstalling drivers, changing USB connection options on my phone, updating to the latest Kies version. Nothing I do can get the software to recognize my phone in Kies mode. I can connect the phone as a mass storage device to transfer files, but this doesn't give me any options to update to 2.2

Anybody else have issues?

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Best bet would be to do a factory reset then connect the phone to Kies. I've usually had issues when I had a bunch of files on the internal SD card, but once I erased them then connecting the phone to Kies worked.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I'm having a lot of trouble getting my phone to connect to my pc via Kies.

I have tried reinstalling drivers, changing USB connection options on my phone, updating to the latest Kies version. Nothing I do can get the software to recognize my phone in Kies mode. I can connect the phone as a mass storage device to transfer files, but this doesn't give me any options to update to 2.2

Anybody else have issues?
This happened to me as well. I unplugged the phone, quit out of kies, then started kies up again. It updated again then I plugged the phone back in and it worked. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Anybody have a successful upgrade to 2.2? My mouse is hovering over the firmware upgrade click, but I'm hesitating!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Yep, I successfully updated my brothers. He likes all the little new features it offers.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hey all,

Thanks for the pointers, I did manage to figure out what the issue was with connecting to Kies. I had been using Launcherpro, but I had to disable this app and revert back to stock Touchwiz before it would allow me to connect in Kies mode. Once I did this, it connected right away and popped up that an update was available.

Now for the update, it's great. I was running completely stock with no rooting or modifications of 2.1, and the upgrade to 2.2 has basically given me a new phone. The menus are faster, more responsive, more intuitive, battery life is improved, flash on webpages, etc. I would highly recommend you upgrade if you haven't already.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Jam, glad the upgrade was a smooth ride. So many people are having problems that it's good to know your 2.2 is ok. Do us a favour: in 48 hours would you post about how things are with froyo. Some people say problems show up 2 days in. Not that I want you to have any problems. :)

·
Registered
281 Posts
I don't see any improvement in GPS whatsoever. Email (K-9) is light years faster. Downloaded Flash player; works on web sites. Alas, still no Farmville (not the SGS's fault). But my big thing with 2.1 was having to reset by taking out the battery when it appeared dead, usually while charging. That hasn't happened yet but will be a game breaker if it happens.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Guys, the update is bricking phones. BIGTIME...

If the update has not yet been pulled, don't do it. In our office alone, of 4 of us that updated, 3 are dead in less than 48 hours.

Bell and Samsung know of the issue but are not being forthcoming with the information.

And I am one of the 3 that died.

·
Registered
462 Posts
There are also a LARGE (!!!!!) number of reports from people also having this update wind up bricking their phones... take a look at HowardForums and XDA Developers to see how badly this is all going down....

·
Registered
528 Posts
Ouch!! I'll pass on the upgrade, for now. Froyo should have fixed previous problems but it seems to be creating new ones.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts