Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the perks of having Google's showcase phone is getting updates first. As of tonight Google has announced that 2.2/FroYo release FRF85B is official and has begun rolling out OTA updates to Nexus Ones. The official notification can be found here. The update can also be installed manually (sources are easy to find) for anyone impatient. The same version applies to either the 850 or the AWS Nexus One.

Android version 2.2 includes a variety of changes and new features; most notably Flash 10.1 support, native WiFi or USB tethering, and the addition of a JIT compiler. Early reports suggest system speed has been boosted generally across the board and particularly in the web browser. Cosmetic changes are minor, though rumours are circulating that the next major Android release, code-named Gingerbread and due late this year, will focus on a drastically revamped user interface.

The OTA is a staggered release, however impatient users who don't want to risk a manual install (like me) can force their phone to check if an update is available for them by typing *#*#CHECKIN#*#* on their phone. Warning: this will return a "success" message as long as your phone is connected to the internet. If FroYo is ready for you a separate, obvious update alert will also appear.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Ditto. Done a bunch of *#*#CHECKIN#*#*. I don't necessarily think it's a geographic thing. Mine's on Bell with a Calgary number but will be on AT&T with a southern US number on the weekend. Though I think they do it in batches based on the serial or identification number, not the provider, phone number, or geographic location.

·
Banned
153 Posts
jvincent, I need brainless step by step instructions on how to root and where to download from.. etc.

Also doesnt rooting void the warranty?

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
The xda-developers forum for the Nexus one has all the instructions you need. Just spend a couple days reading before you attempt it so you are familiar with how it works.

And yes, it will void your warranty.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Gave in and did the manual update. Pretty easy actually.

Downloaded: http://android.clients.google.com/packages/passion/signed-passion-ota-43546.cc653ee4.zip

That's the "universal update" that's supposed to take you from any version to FRF91. (Not sure if it's AT&T specific though.)

Then followed the instructions on: http://forum.androidspin.com/showthread.php?t=2631

Looked a little scary as it booted a couple of times, appeared to hang on an icon with a white box and an out arrow or something.

But held my breath and it came back just fine. Actually the first boot took quite a bit longer (much longer actually - really really long but patience is the key).

All is good now thoug
h. On 2.2 FRF91.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just got my OTA update. Web browsing is significantly faster, and Advanced Task Killer reports that I have about 300-500%(!) more available memory.

Edit: Took me from ERE27 to FRF91

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Gave in and did the manual update. Pretty easy actually.
Yesterday morning, I had a notification that an update was ready to install. I just told it to continue and it was done in a few minutes.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts