Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

I've read the CRTC's material on the August 2011 transition from analogue to digital for OTA channels in Canada.

Does anyone know if analogue cable channels will likewise make a transition?

In particular, I am interested in Shaw.

My presumption is that Shaw's cable-only conversion to digital is strictly a Shaw decision, but they might accelerate any conversions now underway.

Shaw's web site has only US-centric material on digital conversion.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Whether or not the cable companies drop analog has nothing to do with that. August 2011 is when the over the air broadcasters have to drop analog. It will not affect anyone on cable or satellite. However, at some point in the future, the cable companies are likely to drop analog to free up the bandwidth and make it difficult for people to steal cable service.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We Agree

Hi JamesK:

Thanks for your response.

It seems we agree completely on every detail.

And Shaw will do what Shaw wants to do.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Eastlink has dropped analog in Sydney and is planning to drop it in my rinky dink town (Oxford) real soon now.

Mark

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
Apparently Shaw is doing different things in different areas. Apparently out West in Vancouver they've dropped analog altogether, meanwhile here in Manitoba they've only dropped the specialty tiers from analog and only in smaller communities. I emailed them about it and they weren't sure what or when they would be doing anything here in Winnipeg.

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
That link is mostly about the over the air analog to digital conversion and doesn't have much about your specific question on whether or not cable companies will be switching to an all digital lineup anytime soon. At least I don't remember there being much info on that topic there. So far Shaw is moving into the all digital regime in some areas as was mentioned. What other providers do is up to them, however keep in mind they can only convert to all digital once 80% of their customers subscribe to digital cable which will happen sooner than later.

·
Super Moderator
56,563 Posts
...doesn't have much about your specific question on whether or not cable companies will be switching to an all digital lineup anytime soon...
I guess if you don't read all of post 1 or post 12 in the link, then you missed the information for cable. There really isn't any more info because the rest is conjecture.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts