Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I am in dire need of some help. There is no sound coming out of my surround speakers, I have both my DVD and TV hooked up through HDMI. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get it to switch to digital off of analog. I have tried going through the system setup and nothing has worked. Is there something I missing? I suspect that it being on analog is my issue as to why I don't have sound. Any help would be muchly appreciated.

·
Registered
810 Posts
First, the most important arrow in any Denon owners quiver, the Denon to English babelfish.

http://batpigworld.com/setup.html
http://batpigworld.com/fadq.html

Second, as the owner of two Denon AV receivers, I sometimes find when I've done a major gear shuffle and everything is goofed up the best thing to do is just step away from the remote control and sit in front of the receiver. Then I manually try all audio inputs until I hear the correct audio for the video I am displaying. That way I know for sure what audio input I am actually using.

Does your 588 have on screen display for setup?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got sound

I do not have on screen display unfortunately. However, through much playing, I ended up somehow putting it on auto test of speakers. It did it's cycle through all of the surround speakers and all of them work. So, in short, what I am assuming is that it being on analog is my issue as to why I'm not getting any sound for either my TV or my DVD player. My PVR is hooked into my receiver through HDMI 1, and then out to my TV, I have sound on my TV. My Blu Ray player is in HDMI port 2. I also have sound through my TV for the player. Clearly my speakers work and there is audio, it's now an issue of why I can't get it to go to digital. I should mention that the sound is coming through my TV NOT my speakers.

·
Registered
810 Posts
If you are getting audio on the tv speakers passed through the 588 from each hdmi input, then that implies your pvr and dvd/bluray player are configured ok.

When playing something from the pvr, look at the area of the receiver display showing the audio input lights. If they are not lit, or if either pcm or dts are currently lit, press the input button on the bottom right of the remote until Auto is lit.

If you get audio from the 588 speakers after that, repeat for your DVD/Bluray player.

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
You have the AVR configured to send the audio to the "TV" instead of to the "AMP". You need to go into the AVR's user setup menu and configure it properly. You should be able to see the User setup menu on your TV when it's on the correct TV input, but if you can't, then simply look at the front display on the AVR itself and navigate to the appropriate user setup menu item. You'll need to follow the instructions in the AVR's operating manual to set it to "amp".

If this AVR doesn't do OSD (on-screen display) via the HDMI output, you can always temporarily hook up a composite video (yellow) cable from the AVR to the TV to see the OSD. Be aware that sometimes when you press the "setup" or "menu" button on the AVR it may take a few seconds for the menu to actually display on the screen (same goes for HDMI) Also, with many AVRs you need to press the "receiver/amp/similar" button on the AVRs' remote control (or slide switch) to activate the appropriate buttons on the remote so that they go to the Setup/Menu or whatever since some buttons have either dual functionality, or are "turned off" if you do not activate the "receiver" mode of the remote.

I always download a pdf of the OM so that I can search for specific items on my computer.

Please check out the following post, useful for those new to the forum - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

·
Registered
810 Posts

I respect your wealth of knowledge in this area and your vast number of valuable posts.

But, I believe you may be steering the OP in the wrong direction in this case.

The Denon manuals can be confusing, which is why I referred the original poster to the Batpig website, an invaluable resource for anyone trying to set up a Denon receiver.

The Denon 588 does not have OSD, and from my experience with my own receivers it is possible for the audio input to be set to analog and/or direct from the remote, in which case you could spend the rest of your life double checking your Digital audio assignments.

I do not see any way in the 588 manual to redirect audio out from Hdmi sources.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found the problem, but now have a new issue.

Ok, I now have sound through my speakers for both my TV and my Blu-Ray, the solution? The AVR-588 does not have audio through HDMI, it's strictly for video switching. I had to plug a digital optical into the receiver to my PVR as well as my Blu Ray to get sound through my speakers. However, now I have no video on HDMI 2 but I have audio? Ugh, I am about ready to toss this thing out the window.

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
Strryeyed Try swapping the cables HDMI 2 to 1 to see if that solves the problem. If it does, then you may have a cable issue - unplug and replug the cables to ensure a good connection - you may have loosened one when you were adding the optical.

Sorry, I thought this AVR handled HDMI audio. I should have checked more closely instead of responding without looking at the specs in more detail. This model must have been one of the early (or inexpensive) HDMI AVRs that didn't - we had a lot of those issues years ago when HDMI switching AVRs first came out, but I've almost forgotten about those HDMI (non-audio) issues recently.

Very odd not to have an OSD via composite at least, but I looked at the OM and no mention of OSD... PS. I also have a Denon so I'm familiar with the manuals, but not sure they're any worse than many other manuals that I've had to slog through during my optimizations.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just an issue with assignment

It ended up being an issue with video assignment, nothing major. Thank god. I really appreciate your help everyone. Learn through trial and error! This receiver I was gifted from a friend of mine, so I wasn't familiar with the video switching only capability. I believe the audio and switching capability is in the 1700 and up models? Might even start at the 1900.

Now on to figuring out the optimum speaker volumes. I'm not really sure how this decibal thing works, nor do I know what all of them need to be set at in each sound category. IE: 7 CH/5CH, Dolby Digital, Rock Arena, etc.

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
You use the test tones you found earlier to ensure that the speakers are in balance. You can use an SPL (sound pressure level) meter or a good set of ears to ensure that one of the speakers is not a lot louder or quieter than the others. Sometimes as you age and your hearing starts to go, it's good to boost the center channel a bit for better dialogue. This should then apply to all of the various sound modes.

For DD5.1, you don't really need to do anything and for DD2.0, most AVRs default to Dolby Prologic II or something similar. For music you can try some of the other modes, but most people like DPL music or 5Ch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! I know what you mean when you age..haha. How do I boost the centre speaker individually?
I apologize for all the questions, I'm normally quite good at figuring these things out, but some of this stuff is a bit beyond my scope.

I almost there.

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
Page 21-22 of the OM. Typically as each speaker tone is on, you adjust the volume for that channel up/down as necessary. You can set the test tones to automatically go from one speaker to the other, or manually with the up/down arrows. It's usually easier if you step through them manually.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've read through the OM and I'm a little confused as to what the speakers should be set at. I know how to set them, but to what?

Also, setting the crossover frequency for the sub? I have no idea what that even means.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Step away from the owners manual... :)

The FAQ that 57 pointed you toward, and the Batpig Denon FAQ I included, are both good references you should spend some time reading through. They will save you a lot of time and frustration.

You will need to consult the documentation or specs for your particular speakers. Are they from a mix of manufacturers and/or full range stereo speakers you are redeploying, or are they a matched set of surrounds? Generally matched surrounds are set to Small, and full range speakers are set to Large.

An appropriate crossover setting is determined by your subwoofers stated frequency range.

See Helpful Hint #1
http://batpigworld.com/setup.html#manual_setup

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My centre, two front towers and my two small backs are Soundstage and my sub woofer is a Polk Audio.

I will give the tips and hints a read again. I read through a lot of it, but some of it still confuses me a little. I'm sure I will get used to the language at some point.

I also have 16 gauge speaker wire, but for some reason the wires will not stay in the speaker ports. I'm a little curious as to if I am using the wrong gauge wire. The people at the store are the ones who gave it to me, so I assumed they knew what they were talking about.

Also, there are a couple of speaker settings that won't let me shut off. It just has large and small. I've used the arrows etc and the knob to turn to my selections, but there isn't one for None on some of them. Odd?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts