Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had a Cogeco tech come to my place today to fix my service. During our conversation, I made a comment about how crappy the analog channels (1-70) look on the Motorola Box. The tech told me that Peterborough has not switched over to digital channels yet and that areas such as Lindsay and Cobourg have.

Is there any truth to this? :confused: I'd love to hear from our neighbours in Lindsay!

·
Super Moderator
56,560 Posts
I'm pretty sure there's a way to tell if you're getting digital channels. Someone should be able to advise you on that shortly.

Regarding SD PQ, check out the following FAQ:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=18580

And the following post, useful for those new to the forum - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

You don't state the make/model of your TV or STB and that information could be useful - for example are you watching on an HDTV or SDTV via an SD or HD STB?

Here's the FAQ on Motorola STBs - the diagnostics may state if the incoming signal is digital or analogue.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=21274

·
Registered
438 Posts
Easiest way to see if you have Digital channels is to check if you have channels in the 900s.

When the area is analogue still, the analogue feeds are broadcast on the main channels (0 - 100). If the area is digital, the digital feeds are broadcast on the main channels, and the analogue feeds are then moved to the 900s.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know I have analog stations.....I just want to know if Lindsay and Cobourg are upgraded to digital. It just seems funny that a bigger city like Peterborough would be behind on the digital.

·
Registered
971 Posts
It's not unusual for Lindsay to get certain channels in advance of Peterborough. I remember when Silver Screen Classics, Pet TV and the Military Channel appeared on COGECO's lineup, they appeared in Lindsay long before they came to Peterborough. So, if Lindsay's got it, Peterborough can't be too far off!

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
I believe Lindsay has been upgraded to full digital for several years now. Lindsay is one of the communities that seems to be updated first when it comes to new products.

I'm surprised Cobourg has full digital before Peterborough though because I recall that community was one of the last areas to get VOD, in fact I'm not sure if they do have it now.

With Cogeco, it is not uncommon for larger cities to not have fully upgraded infastructure. Hamilton, St. Catherine and Sarnia are some examples where full digital lineup is lacking, less HD channels and missing several SD channels.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am in Cobourg and called to order yesterday (from Bell) but in my area of town there is not full service. The gentleman gave me a pretty short list of what HD would be available to me. I looks like I will have to wait for a while longer to leave Bell and bundle my services.

·
Registered
32 Posts
With Cogeco, it is not uncommon for larger cities to not have fully upgraded infastructure. Hamilton, St. Catherine and Sarnia are some examples where full digital lineup is lacking, less HD channels and missing several SD channels.
If you're in Hamilton and don't have all or most of the HD channels have you tried calling them lately, asking if they're available? A couple weeks ago I noticed two HD channels were missing so I called and they ended up resetting my box and telling me my area has been upgraded recently, so I gained a bunch of channels. It might be worth a try....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Don't hold your breath waiting for them to upgrade us here in Peterborough. I've had the same limited number of HD channels for over 2 years and have called several times within that period asking them when they will upgrade and despite speaking to different people and going through different channels always get the same response. "I can't give you a timeframe, but when we do upgrade your area, we will send a notification letting you know we're working in the area" If you complain though they will give you money off if you rent a box, or have TMN, SSP, HD or anything like that. The discounts are fine, but I don't mind paying the full price I just want the channels other areas get.

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
If you're in Hamilton and don't have all or most of the HD channels have you tried calling them lately, asking if they're available? A couple weeks ago I noticed two HD channels were missing so I called and they ended up resetting my box and telling me my area has been upgraded recently, so I gained a bunch of channels. It might be worth a try....
I am not a Cogeco subscriber, I live in an area that is not served by Cogeco.

I know that certain areas of Hamilton do not get all of the HD channels such as the north end and east end of the city.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My part of Cobourg is on full digital, and all channels are available that you want to pay for. We get VOD, but I had to call in and get it activated. We also have the High Speed Internet Ultimate 30 and 50 packages available.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am not a Cogeco subscriber, I live in an area that is not served by Cogeco.

I know that certain areas of Hamilton do not get all of the HD channels such as the north end and east end of the city.
I live near king and Kenelworth and only had 12 hd channels for the past 3 years, read a post frome someone 5 blocks away from me ( east) and he had the full lineup, 1/2 hour on with tech support and I have all HD and digital channels.and should have had for a couple of years.
Might be worth a call to tech support

1 - 12 of 12 Posts