Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Anaglyph(red eye green eye) is obsolete, poor man's 3D really.
Agreed but my hope for this thread was really just to introduce the terms. Like HDTV, we need to learn some new vocabulary when discussing 3D.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Thanks, David. Big box showrooms aren't the best, I guess. ;) I'll test it out in a smaller retailer to get a better idea. It was a samsung I think. The kind where the shutter glasses go dark when tilted sideways (polarized?).

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
I'm unaware of any passive-glasses 3D displays being sold at the big boxes in Canada.

But yeah, a polarized glasses should darkened when tilted sideways. No shutter glasses is polarized, however.

·
Registered
751 Posts
No shutter glasses is polarized, however.
Actually, LCD shutter glasses are polarised, as a side effect of using LCD technology (but this does not contribute to how they produce the 3D effect). LCD based TVs also contain polarising filters. This is why the image darkens when you tilt LCD shutter glasses off horizontal in combination with an LCD TV.

This doesn't occur with plasma TVs since they don't contain a polariser that interacts with the polarised shutter glasses.

But yeah, a polarized glasses should darkened when tilted sideways.
The Real3D glasses, currently used for most recent 3D movies in theatres, use circular polarisers. They don't darken when tilted sideways.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Shutter glasses, just like calculators and other non-lit LCD displays are not polarized. LCD displays are polarized due to the fresnel lens used to scatter and distribute the backlight evenly.

·
Registered
751 Posts
David,
Please read this article and then tell me if you still believe that LCD shutter glasses don't contain polarising filters.

Also, can you point me to any information that indicates that LCD TVs contain a Fresnel lens?

·
Banned
220 Posts
What content is being shown more on HD broadcasts? the analagryhic 3d (red blue, pink, green glasses) or the new 3d with the shutter glasses? I have 2 Blu rays that use the old school method and I am impressed. I just didn't want to spend an extra grand for my HDTV to be 3d.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
You're impressed with the oild anaglyph BD movies? Then you'll be even more impressed with 3D broadcast and will be extatic with true-3D Blu-ray

In my personal opinion, other than true 3D blu-ray, everything else is not even acceptable
Heck, even true 3D blu-rays are only acceptable. o

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Closing. The purpose of the thread was simply to introduce new members to the difference between Anaglyphic 3D and Active 3D.

Several members have decided to go off-topic and start going on about unrelated topics therefore I have deleted those posts and will close this thread since the purpose seems to have been met.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.