Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

American TV shows sweep Top 10 in Canada

Jump to Latest

Despite hundreds of millions of dollars annually in government subsidies and handouts, not one Canadian made television show made it into the top ten this past fall season.

BBM Canada reported this week that the top ten shows in Canada among adults 18-49 during the Fall 2009 television season were all produced in the United States.

The top rated show among the key advertising demographic of Adults 18-49 was House which originates from Fox in the United States and is rebroadcast in Canada on Global TV.

The ratings agency found that CTV was the top rebroadcaster with eight of the ten most-watched programs in the 2008/09 season. CanWest Global captured the remaining two spots in the top 10.

The following were the Top 10 television programs in the fall season among adults 18-49.
  • House
  • Grey's Anatomy
  • Survivor: Samoa
  • The Amazing Race
  • Criminal Minds
  • CSI: NY
  • CSI: Miami
  • CSI
  • Desperate Housewives
  • Glee
Discuss in Digital Home's Network Television programming forum .

4 Replies

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is hardly surprising. Have you ever seen any Canadian-made shows? They are lame. Lame! Ask anyone in this country and they will tell you that, without even hearing any dialog, it only takes an instant to tell that a show was produced in Canada. There is something about the cinematography that stands out and scream "Canadian".

The only people that care about Canadian-made shows are the people that make them - and parents that don't want their children to see violence.

·
Registered
13 Posts
... Oh, c'mon!

Tell me that Flashpoint looks, as you put it, "Canadian." It looks just as well produced as any other US show. The cast? meh, maybe, but I always preferred the show for the weekly incidents than the regular characters. Plus, more than a million people watch Flashpoint when it wasn't even airing on CBS.

And, let's be honest, if CSI: Miami is on that list, I think the tastes of some Canadians might be slightly dubious.

Don't you think that the reason some Ccanadians shows aren't on that list is because, except from the CBC, there aren't more than, like, two Canadian dramas (dramas making up for about 7 of 10 show on the list) shown in primetime? Heck, including the CBC, that list barley grows.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Correction - House is produced by NBC Universal. The program rights are then purcharsed by Fox in the U.S., and Global in Canada.

There are lots of good Canadian shows, unfortunately, according to the numbers, it's not what Canadians crave.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, what do you expect when we live next door to the largest TV/Movie market in the world. No other country on this planet spends as much money on production as the US does, not even European countries, not even close. No one can compete with them and the fact that we live right next door doesn't help the case for Canadian productions either. Other counties have the advantage of not living next door to that market or not having English as their first language so they aren't affected by the lure of American productions. It certainly isn't a reflection on our ability to produce quality productions.

Out of that top 10 list the only one I watch on a regular basis is the last one, Glee. Other than that, I watched the first couple of seasons of CSI which technically, is a Canada/US co-production. So, if you count co-productions, then Canada has 3 of the top 10.

Now, to be quite frank most people don't give Canadian productions a chance. I, on the other hand, do. Actually, I tend to like quite a few Canadian productions. Some of the more notable ones, in no particular order,

The Tudors (Canada/US/Ireland co-production)
Being Erica
Intelligence
Da Vinci's Inquest
Stargate SG-1 (Canada/US co-production - shot in Canada)
Stargate Atlantis (Canada/US co-production - shot in Canada)
Stargate Universe (Canada/US co-production - shot in Canada)
Cra$h & Burn
ReGenesis
Durham County
Sanctuary (Canada/US co-production - shot in Canada)
Dead Like Me (Canada/US co-production - shot in Canada)
Defying Gravity (Canada/US/UK/Germany co-production - shot in Canada)
The Chris Isaak Show (Canada/US co-production - shot in Canada)
The Dead Zone (Canada/US co-production - shot in Canada)
Due South (Canada/US co-production - shot in Canada)
Traders
Street Legal
The Kids in the Hall
The Rez
The Beachcombers (probably the longest running series in Canadian history, 19 seasons)

Some other highly rated shows I don't/didn't watch,

Slings and Arrows
Corner Gas
Cold Squad
Smallville (Canada/US co-production - shot in Canada)
North of 60
Da Vinci's City Hall
Emily of New Moon
Road to Avonlea
La Femme Nikita
The L Word (Canada/US co-production - shot in Canada)
Queer as Folk (Canada/US co-production)

Maybe, some people should give Canadian productions a chance. They may be pleasantly surprised. Not to mention how many US productions are shot here or star Canadian actors or have Canadians working in other areas of the production.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts