Despite hundreds of millions of dollars annually in government subsidies, Canadian made television shows failed to make a dent in last week’s primetime ratings.
BBM Canada reports that the top fifteen shows in Canada during the first week of the fall television season were all produced in the United States.
The most watched show last week was The Big Bang Theory which attracted 3.1 million viewers. The Big Bang Theory , which airs on Thursdays, originates from CBS in the United States and is rebroadcast in Canada on Global TV.
The ratings agency found that CTV was the top rebroadcaster with eleven of the fifteen most-watched prime time programs during premiere week. CanWest Global captured the remaining four spots in the top 15.
The following were the Top 15 television programs in Canada during premiere week.
- The Big Bang Theory (CTV, Thursday) - 3,112,100
- House (Global, Monday) - 2,699,300
- The Mentalist (CTV, Thursday) - 2,642,500
- Criminal Minds (CTV, Wednesday) - 2,639,400
- Grey’s Anatomy (CTV, Thursday) - 2,528,400
- Survivor (Global, Wednesday) - 2,483,000
- Dancing With The Stars (CTV, Monday) - 2,479,000
- The Amazing Race (CTV, Sunday) - 2,437,900
- CSI: NY (CTV, Friday) - 2,324,600
- Glee (Global, Tuesday) - 2,180,200
- Hawaii Five-0 (Global, Monday) - 2,136,400
- Blue Bloods (CTV, Friday) - 2,126,000
- Dancing With The Stars (CTV, Tuesday) - 2,086,200
- Castle (CTV, Monday) - 1,921,300
- The Defenders (CTV, Wednesday) - 1,915,200