Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping someone can provide me some information on this.

I live in Alberta and the American Networks we have (ABC, NBC, CBS, etc.....) are all from Seattle.
Seattle is part of the Pacific Time Zone and Alberta is in the Mountain Time Zone.
So whenever we watch the network shows, they're an hour later than what it's supposed to be.
For instance, The Tonight Show with Jay Leno is suppose to air at 10:35 but here in Alberta, it airs at 11:35.
(I personally watch late night talk shows, so its annoying that its an hour later than what it is supposed to be, and same with the other shows)

So my question is, why do we have to use Seattle's channel when we can use Salt Lake City's station to match our timezone?
Is this a decision from the CRTC or the providers themselves?

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Your shows air like they do in the Eastern Time Zone. The Denver affiliates are approved for Distribution in the Mountain time zone, but nobody offers them. This has been brought up before.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Just depends where they can get a signal from. I believe (and correct me if i'm wrong) that back in the 60s, the Spokane stations built microwave links all the way to the Idaho-BC border to feed their massive network of retransmitters, and the cable companies in Alberta just took it from there.

We have the same situation on the east coast, but since there aren't any parts of the US on Atlantic time, there's no way around it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Lets get some facts right. The Tonight Show with Jay Leno is scheduled to air at 11:35pm ET/PT and 10:35pm CT/MT. This means with the unnessessary Spokane feed Albertans watch this show at 12:35am.

Doesn't Shaw also distribute the HD feeds from Seattle/Tacoma to all is cable and satellite subscribers?

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
This is not likely to change anytime soon. Shaw should have a direct fiber link with Spokane either later this year or early next year. This will mean that the Alberta markets will have their HD signals switched from Seattle (Current) to Spokane (which will match the standard definition feeds).

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I think this works to our advantage. I've always loved how we have the US shows displaced by one hour and I miss it when I travel. We get east coast feeds of US primetime at 6PM and westcoast starting at 9PM. It's perfect - it's way better being in the west when it comes to TV watching!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Just depends where they can get a signal from. I believe (and correct me if i'm wrong) that back in the 60s, the Spokane stations built microwave links all the way to the Idaho-BC border to feed their massive network of retransmitters, and the cable companies in Alberta just took it from there.
It wasn't even just on cable - some community-owned transmitters in BC, in addition to broadcasting the nearest CBC station, broadcast KREM and KXLY many years ago.

·
Super Moderator
4,487 Posts
Redsuns- you do have a choice in Calgary. Subscribe to the Shaw Timeshift package and watch Leno at 9:35PM MT on NBC Detroit.

You are way better off than the folks in Nova Scotia that can watch Leno either at 12:35 AM on NBC Boston or 3:35 AM on NBC Seattle.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I guess this is why people say that getting a PVR has revolutionized their TV watching. No more waiting for your show to come on.

·
Registered
81 Posts
So if a cable company in Alberta picked up the Denver feeds, they could avoid all simsubbing couldn't they? Boy would it piss off the conglomerates if some cable companies were carrying the Denver feeds and some were still carrying the Spokane feeds.

·
Premium Member
3,896 Posts
I would think that the local stations would adjust their program times to match.

If anything we would have more simsubs; for example I used to watch Law & Order at 11:00pm without Simsubs on NBC; because CFCN showed it at 8:00 or 10:00. At 11:00 CFCN would be showing the National News.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts