Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find this a little hard to believe!

Can anyone provide any insight as to why a major provider such as Bell would not have a channel like this?

I assume this is only the case in the Maritimes...

I'm new here by the way,

Mike in Fredericton

·
Registered
738 Posts
I'm also surprised that we don't have it. Not really an issue for me until March 2012 (Mad Men Season 5).

I'd also like Aliant to add the following channels that Bell currently has:

CBC News HD
Family HD

·
Registered
98 Posts
I asked a CSR when I first signed up for FiberOP about this channel and they haven't even heard of it. A shame since this channel has 4 of my favorite shows on it.

Then again, with the Fiber download speeds getting a missed episode won't take long.

Also, on a random note, Bell Express has AMC in HD so you'd think Bell Aliant would also be able to provide customers this channel. Hopefully soon.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I know Bell Aliant monitors this forum. Can somebody create a poll so we can vote on channels currently offered on Bell that we don't get? I don't know how to create a poll.

Maybe somebody from Aliant will see the interest here and add some channels.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I would even suggest you send an email to support or call them, their CSR's seem very knowledgeable about channels and upcoming additions, I was told Teletoon retro is planned for the summer of this year but CNNi, RT and AlJazeera won't appear until at least 2012. I'm wondering if BellAliant has to negotiate boradcast rights separate from Bell since there are a few channels Bell has dropped BellAliant is still carrying and BellAliant was broadcasting SpeedHD long before Bell.

·
Banned
41 Posts
interesting tidbit just got off the phone with aliant (doing a move order) and the rep said they are deffinatly getting the channel but was unable to give me a date :(

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yea I heard they were still in negotiations to get the channel when I first signed up to FibreOP back in January.

I must say though it's kind of strange in my own view an IPTV provider, like Bell Aliant doesn't carry AMC yet offers only TCM yet both channels are on basic cable, and are highly popular services, and considering they're trying to lure people away from competitors IE: Eastlink, and of course Rogers, and both DTH providers, you would've thought they'd do their homework.

·
Registered
187 Posts
the shaw feed would not suprise me as they sure do show a lot of shaw commercials
Source Link http://www.globaltoronto.com/Shaw+Communications+closes+purchase+Canwest+assets/3734905/story.html
" Shaw is buying 11 local Global TV stations across Canada and a group of specialty channels, including Showcase, MovieTime and HGTV.

Shaw will also get the broadcast rights to a variety of Canadian TV shows, as well as valuable agreements with U.S. networks."

Shaw purchsed all of (Canwest Global's stations back last fall, so this would explain why you see a lot of shaw commercials on those particular stations (

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/com100/2010/r101022.htm

·
Registered
633 Posts
AMC

AMC is an awesome channel, one of my all time favourites with good variety of movies. This should be added to the line up ASAP, it's far better than TCM.
My 2 cents.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Response From Aliant

I emailed Aliant about getting the AMC channel. Here is their response.

". We understand that this is quite a popular channel and have been working to launch this late summer early fall time frame. The channel cannot be promised to our customers yet, as all dates and channels are subject to change without notice. Please stay tuned and we will advise you if and when this channel becomes available in the near future for Bell Aliant customers".

·
Registered
48 Posts
Much HD

MuchMusic HD launched 'everywhere' but I can't find it yet on FibreOP 2.0 MediaRoom.

'everywhere' = Bell Fibe TV Channel 1570 | Bell Satellite TV Channel 1670

·
Registered
187 Posts
Probably working its way through the pipes....just not at Fibre speeds LOL.
Remember how long it took them to get Sportsnet One??

·
Registered
633 Posts
They told me we would get cartoon retro either in the fall or January. No sign of it yet. They are really SLOW adding channels. They should get their act together.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had phoned a few days ago and the only channels they told me that were coming were:

Teletoon Retro
RDS HD
AMC Standard (Non HD )

* with regards to AMC, kinda weird how they're not going to provide the HD feed I mean in comparison they will offer TCM in both standard and HD, and both are main rival networks, also according to the CSR I talked to at Bell Aliant, it will be packaged with the Movie Channels, he wasn't sure if TMN/ Superchannel or Movies 1/2 add-on bundle, But at least it's the first indication so far that it may/ might be coming. :)

Also I know the thread is about AMC but just thought i'd ask, why don't they offer KTLA? I mean almost every single provider across Canada offers it, and aren't they mandated to provide it as it's a superstation based channel?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Like I said, don't hold your breath, they've been promising cartoon retro for about a year now, still no sign of it. I think that department needs a kick in the pants. I'll pay for AMC if it's in one of the 5 dollar movie bundles, but NOT for the 20 dollar useless TMN package, what a waste of good money that is.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Like I said, don't hold your breath, they've been promising cartoon retro for about a year now, still no sign of it. I think that department needs a kick in the pants. I'll pay for AMC if it's in one of the 5 dollar movie bundles, but NOT for the 20 dollar useless TNM package, what a waste of good money that is.
Why do you think the TMN is a waste, just curious ?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Too many garbage Canadian movies, and rarlely do you see any of the "blockbusters" on there. Just garbage in my opinion. Definitely not worth 20 bucks a month. They gave us two free months of it, and I've watched it once in 3 weeks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Missing Channels

To continue the thought of missing channels, why would we have Standard TLC, but not the HD version? My daughter is jonesing for HD Cake Boss!

I agree absolutely with NO-CRTC about the TMN package. We barely (I mean BARELY) watched it. I set a reminder for myself to cancel it as soon as the free period ended.

I received a letter last week telling me we'd be upgraded to FibreOp 2.0 within the next 4-6 weeks.

Mike in Fredericton.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts