Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Like its smaller Kindle cousin, the DX offers free 3G wireless. The new version displays graphics and text 50% more clearly than its predecessor, Amazon said. It also comes in a graphite color, instead of the original white.

New price $379 down from $489.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
On the smaller Kindle, I think the Nook and Kobo eReader were the reasons for the fall in price last week.

On the DX, I think the success of the iPad had a lot to do with the price decrease. At $489, it was essentially the same price as the iPad.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
$379 is still too rich in my book for a dedicated ebook reader. However, the smaller Kindle at $180 US seems closer to an appropriate price for an e-ink display.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
BTW, the new improved screen is only on the Graphite version. The white still has the old screen for the time being.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
With the cheapest iPad costing only $499 USD, the new Kindle price might not be low enough for the US market.

As for the Canadian market, that will probably depend on the availability of titles for each device now that the Canadian iBookstore has finally started to sell books.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Intrinsically, for me the DX has to be half the price of an iPad for me to consider buying (that's $249)

$379 still seems pricey to me.

Isn't competition wonderful!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts