Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
They were present on my Fire TV 4K stick as of yesterday. You are correct, though, andyk, about the Apple TV, and the channels aren't there yet.

The channels are also present on my Roku Premier+

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
They were present on my Fire TV 4K stick as of yesterday.
Oh great, that's more crap I'm going to have to wipe off the fire stick, so it doesn't crash every 30 minutes.

The only things I've got on there now are CBC Gem, CTV, and Crave after the latest factory reset ... and drilling some holes through the plastic venting to increase the ventilation.

It's amazing how poor and frustrating the Amazon device is compared to Roku ... and how badly Crave is implemented on it.

Glad these will be on Roku! I wish Bell and CBC would go there as well, and I can never touch the thing again ...

·
Registered
969 Posts
That's really odd, nfitz, since I have found my Amazon Fire TV 4K stick to be very reliable. I have it plugged directly into one of the HDMI ports on the TV. I know that the memory, as well as the processor, in the latest model have made it more stable than earlier, non 4K models. I admit that the interface on it is rather messy, though.

Ironically, the reason that I bought the Fire TV stick in the first place was that my Apple TV kept crashing. I later found that the reason for that was that it wasn't automatically going into sleep mode, and I needed to put it into sleep mode manually. That fixed the Apple TV issues.

My apologies for the off topic post.

·
Super Moderator
4,004 Posts
My guess is many streaming providers use AWS services. I know for sure Netflix does.
Sure, but they might still be limited in bandwidth or have other issues with their software. If it's all Amazon controlled from end to end then it would be more sure to replicate the Prime Video experience. Apple is planning a similar channels setup for their upcoming service, and they're hosting many of them for that reason.

·
Registered
731 Posts
The channels don't seem to be available on Apple TV 4K yet. The app does not seem to have been updated.
Apple TV isn’t listed as a supported device yet.
Prime Video app to watch anytime, anywhere on smart TVs, iOS and Android mobile devices, Amazon Fire TV, Amazon Fire TV Stick and more.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The channels now can be watched on Apple TV 4K, but have to first be ordered from another device (for me Roku or PC). Same is true for IOS. The PC has a Channels menu item but the Roku just has an extra line on the first page showing the various channels available. The extra line is not on the Apple TV until you order, and then just shows what you have ordered.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
^
Probably why Acorn tv is $7.49 with amazon and $8.99 through Apple
Only $7.49 as stand-alone. Why would anyone take the Apple offer? Gosh, I'd never realized there was a surcharge for using Apple.

That's monthly - does Acorn TV have an annual option?

·
Super Moderator
4,004 Posts
Lots of people will only ever see it through Apple TV and won't know they can get it cheaper elsewhere, and it's against Apple's rules for services to tell them. Most subscription services on Apple platforms are left with the options of:
  1. Charging a premium for subscribers signing up through their apps on Apple platforms (and presumably losing some prospective customers because the price is too high)
  2. Not allowing customers to sign up through their apps on Apple platforms (and presumably losing prospective customers who can't figure it out or can't be bothered, especially since they're not even allowed to tell people subscriptions are available on their website)
  3. Charging the same price and losing money on subscriptions registered through their apps on Apple platforms
Increasingly, large services like Spotify, Netflix, and Kindle have been taking option 2, believing that they're big enough that people will go out of their way to subscribe (or in the case of Kindle, buy books) on their websites. But even Spotify has been increasingly crying foul that they're likely losing customers to Apple Music, which you can easily sign up for in the app, as a result.

For a service like Acorn, which probably isn't hugely profitable and doesn't have the name power of Netflix, they won't want to take any chances with losing customers who just can't figure out what they are or how to sign up. And they probably can't afford to hand 15% of their revenue to Apple. So they chose option 1.

·
Registered
172 Posts
So far I’ve been enjoying STARZ & Hollywood Suite for the price it’s good although the time is an hour ahead of my time here in SK and I haven’t found where to change it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
202 Posts
smoking joe if your looking on your fire stick or tv you go into settings - preferences -time zone and time zone again.in there you will find that daylight time has taking over and it means that Saskatchewan never changes to daylight saving time because half the year you are on ablerta time and half the year your on Manitoba time so you must manually change the time zone to fit the present time zone for you now.thats the reason it being an hour ahead. so change it to central daylight time should fix your problem and don't forget to cange it back in the fall to mountain time

·
Super Moderator
16,400 Posts
@pinto are you getting ads with On Demand or just live TV? If they have ads with On Demand, how long and how frequent are they?

BTW I saw a promo specifically for Stack TV on Global TV last week. They didn't mention any of the other channels on Amazon Prime. I also saw them promoting Stack TV on one of Corus' Twitter feeds.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts