Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Amazon Prime Video in Canada discussions.

Tags
amazon
129K views 436 replies 91 participants last post by  Exid0r 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#83 ·
Amazon has been outbidding Crunchyroll/Funimation on a number of anime simulcasts for their Strike service in the US. They charge an extra fee per month on top of the Prime subscription in the US for Strike. Some of those shows are available in Canada as part of Canadian Prime, but others are not available here at all. It is quite frustrating that they are making it harder for my niche audience to legally watch some anime.

#85 ·
Don't get your hopes up too high, considering that primevideo still isn't available on the Roku in Canada. Prime in Canada seems to be an afterthought for Amazon.

Primevideo's anime simulcasts are a bit of a mess as well. I had an episode last season that was missing English in the subtitle language choices. I contacted their support people who were very prompt but also very useless. This season the new episodes are not being posted regularly. I wish they would stop overbidding on anime and just let crunchyroll have it.

#86 ·
Well, I would not base my opinion on Roku support in Canada. Apple TV support is pretty good. We have Crave tv and used to have Shomi so I do not have any doubts that Prime video will be available on Apple TV in Canada.
Especially that it is available on Apple mobile devices already.

#90 ·
It is possible that it will happen and Amazon Prime will be available in Canada on all Apple TV models.
Since Apple an Amazone have come to terms and Amazon Prime release in Canada this year I would say that possibility of Amazon Prime coming to Apple TV in Canada is very high.
Regardless of what Roku decides.

#91 ·
Watched 1-2 things on it..
As other have said.. the selection is very.. MEH.
Only semi decent thing i have seen on it, is that the actually appear to have Simulcasts of a bunch of CURRENT Anime on it.

The one thing i like the most about it (Well this applies to the web interface, not sure if it carries over to any other apps as well? Havent tested), is the age catagory PASSWORD lock.
Now, i know things like netflix, etc have the profiles. Where you can say a profile is kids, etc.. semi narrows the content, etc. But you can easily just switch profiles, etc. And the kids narrowing, is pretty broad.
Only the one profile with Prime (that i see), but you can lock things to specific ratings.
So say, anything above PG13? Requires a password to view.
I would love to see this implemented in other streaming services.

#92 ·
Treat Your Dad This Father's Day Weekend with Free Shows on Amazon Prime Video

Customers worldwide can enjoy Amazon Original Series The Grand Tour Namibia two-part special with Clarkson, Hammond and May and the first two episodes of Le Mans: Racing is Everything for free this weekend at amazon.com/grandtour and amazon.com/lemans

Free in 4K Ultra HD beginning Friday, June 16, through Sunday, June 18 at amazon.com/grandtour and amazon.com/lemans.

#93 ·
Time for the same old rant again.... still unbelievable that they haven't brought the app to the Roku or ATV. Clearly they don't care to or they would have done it by now.

Works through my US Roku account (with content mapping glitches) and thankfully though Samsung TVs but the scrubber on the later is a pain the ass.

Amazing that a company that does such technical innovation (i.e. with AWS) can't be bothered to region port their existing Roku and ATV apps or make generic one with a geo-specific catalog.

#94 ·
It's fairly obvious that Amazon's Canadian video streaming service is not intended to be a full featured service like their US counterpart. It's an add-on to the two day shipping service and probably exists only to leverage their self-produced titles by selling a few extra Amazon Prime subscriptions. I doubt Amazon, or anyone else, wants to go head to head with Netflix and CraveTV in Canada. I would like to see Amazon expand their video service in Canada but it would be a difficult market to enter. Shipping costs in Canada are significantly higher than in the US so we would likely see price increases with an expanded video service.

#95 ·
I actually have Amazon prime in Canada but I got it for the free 2 day shipping as I purchase lots of items from.ca/.com and the yearly prime is by far cheaper than paying shipping. Now I wouldn't even consider checking out the video offerings especially since there isn't even an app available on any tv,BD player or PS4.

#105 ·
For those who have subscribed to Prime Video, how is it? With its $79 p.a. fees, how is it compared to Netflix's $120 or CraveTV's $96? I personally do not care enough about Amazon Prime membership as each time I make Amazon purchase I always choose the free shipping anyway. So I just want to compare its bang for the buck with other Canadian streaming services.

#106 ·
@hercules130

If you aren't interested in the Prime delivery membership, then I would say it is not worth using. As an add-on to prime delivery it was enough to coax us to sign up and my wife has made a lot of use of the delivery options.

However as a service compared to Netflix, it is not particularly attractive to me. I used Prime to watch the final season of Justified which I missed after I cancelled my cable TV. I have watched the first episode of The Grand Tour but haven't gone any further. The problem is the only way I have to watch it on the TV is to Chromecast from the web site, as there is no Roku app and the android app won't cast. It is so much easier just to hit the "Netflix" button on the TV remote and watch something there.

Netflix also has much more choice for me. I have 15 shows on my Prime watch list, vs. over 200 on my Netflix list. In fact the Neflix app on my TV won't support more than 200 items on "My List" so I had to split my list into movies and TV to get it to fit. There are no movies on Prime that I want to see that I haven't already watched.

Crave has a few things I would like to watch, but I'll wait until I've worked through my Netflix list before giving Crave a try. There is only so much time available.