Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 265 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,377 Posts
New: Watch Amazon Originals on PrimeVideo.com
Your Prime membership gives you exclusive access to watch Amazon Originals including The Grand Tour and award winners The Man in the High Castle, Mozart in the Jungle and Transparent. Enjoy instant streaming on Amazon's global video service, PrimeVideo.com. Watch on your computer or on the go with the Prime Video app, and download select titles to your iPhone, iPad, or Android device. The site and app are currently in English, with multi-language dubbing or subtitles available.
Start your 30-day free trial*
After your free trial, Amazon Prime is just CDN$ 79.00/year (plus any applicable taxes).
Cancel anytime. *Quebec residents receive an initial 13-month membership for CDN $79.00, instead of a free trial.
Sources: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/prime/pipeline/landing and https://www.primevideo.com/

Amazon officially launches Netflix-like video service in Canada - BNN
Canadians hoping to subscribe on a standalone basis are out of luck: an Amazon spokesperson told BNN via email the Video service will only be available to Prime customers.

·
Registered
458 Posts
so i sign up for the 30 day trial of Prime.

After a few minutes of searching thru the titles available. I hope i am missing something but the selection is pitiful. Pardon the
pun but Prime is not ready for Prime time. The selection of movies is not only small but the movies are ancient. Nothing current at
all. At this point Netflix Canada has no worries about losing out to Amazon. Prime is not worth having at this time and i will not
continue after the 30 day trial. Would love to be able to compare the USA Prime vs the Canada Prime to see if there is a huge
difference.

·
Super Moderator
16,377 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
I posted about it ( the launch in Canada) on the Shaw forum and they deleted it for some reason. Don't know why, it doesn't compete with anything they offer, and have posted about Netflix before with no problems.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I asked them this morning about when it would be available on Roku. The answer was that they are aware that many people want that, in the USA and Canada and it is in the development teams hands.
I accepted that answer for now and I'll just wait and see. I might hump a spare computer down to beside my tv, plug in the HDMI and try the free trial...I am a Prime member already.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Amazon Prime Video app is available as of today in Canadian Apple Store but only for mobile devices so it has to be streamed using Air Play if anybody wants to watch it on the big screen.
According to some sources Amazon Prime Video app is coming to Apple TV4 very soon.

I think that Apple TV is the only media player that supports all streaming services available in Canada.

·
Registered
5 Posts
As far as I can 'assume', they just need to expose the Roku Amazon Prime app to the Canadian Roku Store. They have the app already, and it works on my 1 roku setup as a US device, but not on my roku's setup as Canadian devices.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'm an Amazon Prime US customer (shipping stuff to a relative in the US). When I'm in the US I can watch a lot of stuff on Prime Video, and when I'm home (in Canada) there's been a limited range of stuff for "while you're travelling". I figured it was all Amazon originals, but not all of them.

Is there anything in recent developments that would provide more than what I was getting before? I'm not a Prime Canada member and probably never will be (there isn't enough worth buying from Amazon Canada).

What I would love is for them to follow the Netflix model, where membership in one region works in all regions, but with different content. That's in effect what I've had already, except the Canada content has been tiny (vs just smaller, with Netflix Canada vs Netflix US).

Hoping they can come out with something like that, and hoping more that they're talkign about it. :)

BTW is there a list anywhere of what Prime US customers can see when they're in Canada?

Thanks!
=aw

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
why is this topic important?
Doesn't Canada have their own companies that provide such services?
Do you support them? If not, why not?

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
@majortom Not sure what's the point of your question. Prime Video has exclusives and is now available for free for Amazon Prime Canada members. It's like asking why are people discussing Amazon instead of Indigo when buying books, toys, etc. People shop where they want to shop.

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
Prime Video in Canada will likely improve their library of titles in the coming months and years. The selection on Netflix Canada was comparatively small at first but that has changed. CraveTV had an advantage due to Bell's existing business relationships with US and Canadian broadcasters. It takes time for a new service to build up a library. As licensing agreements with other Canadian services expire, Prime Video has the opportunity to pick some of them up.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
As threatened I plugged my W10 Insider laptop into my tv and signed into Amazon. Worked fine as one would expect. Watched about 20 minutes of the Grand Tour...not sure I'll bother with it. Looked at the rest of the offerings, didn't see anything I wanted to watch ( FWIW I rarely bother with Netflix either) and just watched TVO and PBS instead.

I am sure the library will improve as the service gets going.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
930 Posts
I'll try Prime before CraveTV for one reason: They will likely have Roku support soon. Though if the library doesn't grow I won't try it for very long. I'll try Crave when they bring out a Roku app, not before.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Installed the App on my new LG tv, but haven't tried it yet. Looks like they have Grand Tour in UHD. Also noticed there are only two seasons of Transparent when I believe there are 3.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I asked Amazon why they don't have all seasons of Transparent, which is an Amazon show, and they replied it was a rights issue. I wonder if the failed Shomi still retains the rights to season 3 in Canada?

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's Official: Amazon Instant Video is FINALLY Coming to Canada!

It appears that there's finally a glimmer of hope for Canadian Transparent fans as Amazon Group, LLC announced that they are finally bringing their USA-only Instant Video streaming service to the great white north in the new year! Say "Thank You Amazon!"

41 - 60 of 265 Posts